Chapter 18

"There's no way around grief and loss: you can dodge all you want, but sooner or later you just have to go into it, through it, and hopefully come out the other side. The wold you find there will never be the same as the world you left." -Johnny Cash

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Let Her Go by Passenger

----------

After school, at the agency. (Y/N)'s POV

     School could not be over soon enough. I rushed back as fast my legs would carry me and locked myself in our room.

     Kaito and Nachika jerked their heads up at my sudden entry.

     "Is something wrong?" Nachika asked.

     "Everything is wrong!" I exclaimed, tears threatening to choke me. However, I didn't want to go into explaining. Telling them what had happened between Shoto and Taega would only make me feel like I was reliving it. Besides, I could tell by their faces that the they both already knew.

     "Is there any way I could go away for a while?" I asked quietly, looking at Kaito and Nachika for an answer. "I just . . . don't think I can go to school right now and act like everything's okay, and act all happy for Taega when she's here with us. I just. . ." I lost it, putting an end to my words.

     Maybe I was overreacting. I'd told myself I was over and over during the past two weeks. But when I really thought about it, I thought I was handling it pretty well. It's not just that Shoto's got a girlfriend. It's also because it's Taega, someone I know would never give him the love he deserved; the love I could give him. Not only that, but she's the very worst person I've ever come across, and I don't know if I've ever hated anyone as much as I hate her.

     I felt Nachika's arms around me. The small act of love made me cry even harder.

     "There's a mission I was gonna leave for this afternoon," Kaito said. "It's not one that requires the whole squad, but you're welcome to come with me."

     I sniffled a little. "What's the mission and where is it?"

     "It's in Nagasaki and we're just tracking a suspect. We just have to follow him for a few days." 

     "That doesn't sound like you would need my help," I said. "Could I maybe just go instead of you? The bosses need you here a lot anyway."

     He thought on it for a minute or so. "I don't know . . . sending you into a city like that all by yourself? Seems kinda dangerous."

     "Kaito, I can do it! I know how to protect myself."

     Nachika glanced at Kaito. "Let her do it. I believe in her, and so do you."

     "Well, okay, but please promise me you'll be extra careful." Kaito stood up and walked towards the door. "Ever since Riku left, I became our team leader, so I'd be responsible if anything happens. If the suspect turns out to be the prime suspect, I'll be getting on the nearest train."

     I nodded. "I promise. Sounds like a plan."

     "Okay," he said. "I'll tell one of the officials that you're going in my stead. I'll also get them to alter your chip's location." He strode out the door.

     "Just don't do anything reckless," Nachika warned.

     "I won't." I went to my bed and lay down on it, phone in my hands. "I'll tell my friends and teachers that I won't be in school for a while."