Chapter 25

"I want you to know something, but I don't know how to tell it.  So I'll let the first three words of this explain it."  -Unknown

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: So Close by Jon McLaughlin

----------

Later, (Y/N)'s POV

     Bakugo and I came to the school where the dance was being held. It was a fancy private school, with many trees and hedges surrounding it. The back door to their dance hall (or very fancy gymnasium, I couldn't tell) was the only one open, and the trees and pathway leading up to it were decorated with little twinkle lights.

     I saw many high school couples flood through that door, and I searched them for anyone I knew. I immediately recognized Riku and Nachika, and I spotted Iida with some girl I didn't know. Everyone else was either not here yet or already inside.

     When we got inside, I looked around in amazement. The lights were dim, but not too dark, and the music was loud but not deafening. Small lights like the ones outside were strung everywhere, creating a magical effect.

     I'd never been to a dance like this before, and I knew I liked it right away. I turned to Bakugo, still grasping his arm. "Hey. . . I know I said this already, but thanks for bringing me." I smiled.

     "Aw, well . . . " With his other hand he pretended to scratch the back of his neck. He was blushing so much he seemed to glow.

     "Wanna dance?" I asked innocently.

     "Sure."

     I positioned my arms around his shoulders near the base of his neck, as his hands traveled down to my waist. We slowly eased into the beat of the music, our bodies moving in sync.

     This is kinda weird, I thought.  I've never been this close to a boy like this before. I could almost feel his breath on my forehead as we danced.

     I looked up into his reddish-colored eyes, giving him a friendly smile.

     I stared down at me, unsure of what to say.

     "This is fun," I told him, laughing to help break the awkwardness.

     To my amazement, he laughed too. Really laughed, with happiness or some positive emotion I knew he had buried deep inside his soul.

     I decided that even if this evening suddenly went south, it had been worth it just to witness it.

    Presently, the song ended and Bakugo brought me to the side of the room where the food and drinks were. I sat down in a chair and he asked if I wanted anything.

     "Maybe just some lemonade," I answered. 

     He left to get it for me, which was something I also found surprising. Ever since he began walking me from Mikura's house, I'd been witnessing a whole new side of him. I never knew he could be nice like this, whether he was trying to or not. He's pretty cool this way, I thought. I couldn't help but think that if I hadn't met Shoto, I would've probably fallen for Bakugo.

     As I waited, I took the chance to scan the room for Shoto. I needed to see him, and make things right regarding last night. Anything more than that, I wasn't sure if I wanted to say, but Nachika's words from last night were convicting me something awful. In my heart, I knew she was right.