Chapter 16

"I wish I saw you more than just in my dreams. I don't want to believe that's the only world you can exist with me." -S.L. Gray

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: I'm So Tired by Lauv ft. Troye Sivan

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     "Shoto!" I was out of breath when I caught him.

     He saw me before I even called his name, and stopped to wait for me. He gave me a breathtaking smile.

     I almost drowned in that smile. Shoto.

    "I'm sorry," was the first thing I said. "I haven't talked to you in so long, I've just sort of missed you." I was embarrassed the moment I said it.

     "You should stop apologizing for everything," he said.

     "Oh, ok . . . sorry."

     He laughed and started walking. "You're cute. I missed you too, by the way. I'm sorry things haven't been the same. Walk with me?"

     I nodded and followed him. "What's that you're carrying?" 

     "Oh, this stuff? It's supplies for a school project, for me, Iida, Kirishima, Midoriya, Bakugo, and Uraraka." He laughed. "We all put our phones on a desk, and whoever got the first notification had to go buy all the supplies. Obviously, I lost."

     I laughed, but only one thing came to mind the moment he said it. "Taega texted you?"

     "She snapped me. . . but yeah. That was what cost me."

     We continued to walk towards U.A. High. I offered to help carry some of the supplies, but he said he could handle it. "I don't wanna make you work for me," he said.

     We were almost to the school when a question that had been plaguing my mind for the last two weeks suddenly escaped my mouth. "Shoto? Do you . . . like Taega?"

     He turned towards me slightly. He seemed to be thinking of an appropriate answer. Or maybe he just didn't want to tell me.

     "She's pretty," he said after a while. "And she's smart, and fun to hang out with.  So, yes I guess I do like her."

     I couldn't tell if he interpreted 'like' as just plain 'like' or the have-a-crush-on 'like'.  So, I went ahead and asked the question I knew I'd never get another chance for.

     "Are you in love?"

    "In love?" he said. 

     We had walked all the way to U.A. before he responded. 

     "Nah, I wouldn't go that far."

     "Oh. . . " That was a lot of hesitation though. What if he's on his way? Or what if he is and he doesn't know it? I stayed silent after that.

     We stood in front of the building, gazing at it's massive doors.

     "Hey," Shoto said, transferring all of the supplies to one arm. "Thanks for walking with me."

     I gave him a small smile and nodded.

     With his free hand, he gently ruffled the hair on the top of my head. "I'll see you later."

     I waved and watched as he disappeared through the doors.

----------