Chapter 35

"I love you," that means I'm not just here for the pretty parts. I'm here no matter what.  ~Claudia Gray

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: You Got Me by Colbie Caillat

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     Shoto opened the door for me and I walked into the hospital room. Doing a brief sweep of the room, I noticed it was small, and there was lots of sunlight streaming in from the open window. Near the window, was a small wooden chair on which a woman was sitting. She turned to us when she heard the door open, and gave a small smile.

     Her smile looks like Shoto's, I thought. I thought she was quite attractive, with her long white hair and large soft eyes, which were the same shade as Shoto's grey one.

     "Hi mom," Shoto said as he came in, closing the door behind him.

     "Shoto," his mother answered, standing up. Her eyes drifted to me. "And this is (Y/N)?"

     I nodded and smiled. "Yes, ma'am. Hello." I was nervous, and I had no idea why.

    Mrs. Todoroki sat down on the bed that was there close to the window, while I took a seat on the bench across from her. Shoto gave her a hug before joining me.

     "I wanted you two to meet," Shoto said to me, "so I came here just before school today and asked if it was okay for me to bring you. That's why I said I wouldn't be able to see you before school."

     "That's totally fine," I said. I looked at Shoto's mother and smiled again. "It's really nice to meet you, Mrs. Todoroki."

     "It's all my pleasure, sweetie," she answered. "Shoto was right when he said you were a pretty girl."

     An obvious blush spread across my cheeks and nose. "Oh gosh . . ." 

     "He's told me all about you," she continued, "and it came to the point that I couldn't wait to meet you."

     I laughed uncomfortably. "I'm quite un-extraordinary, I'm afraid."

     She shook her head, smiling. "I don't think so, dear." Getting up from the bed, she then said, "I'm going to get some water, I'll be right back."

     Shoto immediately got up and helped her sit down again. "I'll get it. You stay here."

     She looked up at him and nodded. "Thank you, dear."

     He left us, closing the door behind him.

     I continued to smile awkwardly. I suppose I was uneasy because this was my love's mother, and I felt obligated to make a good impression. I had an unrealistic fear that if I screwed this up, she'd lock Shoto in a box and throw away the key, separating us forever. It wasn't that she was scary or anything, I was just able to tell that she loved her son dearly, more than anything. It made me wonder what it was like to have a parent's love, or even have a parent at all. The thought saddened me a little.

     "Is there something wrong, dear?" she asked, breaking into my thoughts.

     I didn't even know her, but something about her made me feel like I could tell her things I wouldn't normally tell people. For some reason, I didn't mind.

     "Oh, I was just watching you and Shoto. I was just imagining what that must feel like, what you and him have."

     "Don't your parents treat you the same?"