Chapter 17

"Some people don't know what they have until it's gone. But what about the ones who do know? The ones who never took a damn thing for granted. Who tried their hardest to hold on, yet could only look on helplessly while they lost the thing they loved the most. Isn't it so much worse for them?" -Lang Leav

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Best Friend by Sophie Rose

----------

Kaito's POV

     Once (Y/N) had fled the room, I wasted no time in unleashing my wrath.

     "Screw you, Taega! Why do you have to be such a b*tch?! You got the boy, okay?! But still you feel the need to hold it over (Y/N)!!! You've not only violated the teamwork policy here, but you're scarring your image as a human being." I angrily strode to her, fists clenched.

     Taega caught her breath. "K-Kaito, what are you going to do?"

     It took everything I had to stand still in front of her, and not deliver serious damage. "I'm not going to hurt you, this time. However, if I ever catch you treating (Y/N) this way again, I will report you and I won't hesitate to give you everything I've got. It doesn't matter to me that you're a girl. Got it?" 

     Taega was speechless, genuinely afraid. Her body shaking, she slowly nodded.

     Afterwards, I dashed out of the training room, in search of (Y/N).

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     I'd ran as fast as I could to our room and slammed the door shut. I curled myself into a ball in a dark corner and sat there alone. I was stunned, devastated, heartbroken, and angry all at the same time. With so many emotions swirling in my mind, I couldn't even cry.

     Part of me wanted to give Taega the bloodiest death I could think of, another part of me wanted to punish myself for being so protective of Shoto, and the last part just wanted to die. In the end though, I couldn't bring myself to do anything.

     After I'd been there for about five minutes, I heard a rap on the door.

     "(Y/N)? Can I come in?" 

     I realized Kaito's voice was just the sound I wanted to hear. "Yeah," I said, only loud enough for him to hear.

     He came in and saw me in my corner. He walked to me and sat next to me.

     "Come here," he said, putting his arms around me.

     I leaned against him, my chest warning me that I was about to cry. With a shaky voice, I said, "h-how is it, that your heart can be broken . . . by s-someone that was never even yours?" At that moment, I forgot that I never told Kaito about Shoto.

     He sighed sympathetically. "Love is a strange thing," he spoke. "They say guard your heart, but there's really no way to do that. It's hard when you think someone's better looking than you, too. It's like they get the VIP pass straight into the person's heart."

     "S-so, you agree that Taega's prettier?" I was never one to be called vain, but it burned a little to be compared.

     "No, actually," he said. "To me, and most guys, being pretty applies to the overall deal. Taega's looks are the only thing going for her. Even then, I've never seen her without makeup. You remember what I told you, don't you?"