Chapter 49

Alice: How long is forever?  White Rabbit: Sometimes, just one second.

~Lewis Carrol

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Still Worth Fighting For by My Darkest Days 

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     No words could express my shock. I was totally caught off guard and suddenly I felt unsure about this whole thing. Escape right now?! Am I ready? What about the chip? If they already know an outside person is here, I don't think we'll have enough time before they catch us.  I don't know if I can do this . . . However, I looked into Shoto's eyes and I knew he was dead serious.

     "Do you trust me?" he asked.

     After all we'd been through, and were still going through, my answer came out rather small and unconvincing. "Um . . . yes?"

     "Do you trust me?!" he said louder, aware that the footsteps were growing louder and approaching fast. Still, he waited for a confident answer.

     I looked at him with a piercing glare. "Yes. But let's go to our room so we can at least think about this. We can just break out now, I still have the chip in my head."

     He walked past me briskly. "Where's your room . . . show me."

    I chased after him and took the lead. "There's a back staircase and we'll have to go down a few floors, but it's better than using the elevator."

     We got to the staircase, and clambered down flights and flights of steep steps. I knew we were running past active security cameras, making me realize that it really was now or never. If Shoto left here without me, he'd probably never be able to return. As it stood, I wasn't sure how we were going to rescue the captive heroes. I wasn't even sure if we would survive getting out now. But Shoto had told me to trust him.

     We broke out of the back stair well when we'd finally reached the floor my room was on.

     "I don't think any of the roommates are in there," I whispered to him, "but if Kaito or Nachika are there, then seeing you will be a shock. Don't worry though, they're not going to tell on us or anything like that."

     We strode down the hall, and I rapped urgently on the door. There was no answer.

     "No one's there." I pulled out my key and unlocked the door, quickly let ourselves in, and immediately closed it shut again. "They're probably in the training room or something."

     Shoto looked around our dark, untidy room. He went to the window and closed the shades tighter, making it even darker. It was now so dark that you'd need a light if you wanted to read something.

     "Are there four of you in this tiny room?" he asked, counting the beds.

     I nodded.

     "Why'd you only mention two then?"

     "Well Taega got elected to go to the conference in Osaka. She's there now, so right now it's just Kaito, Nachika, and I."

     "Wait, Taega? The same Taega that . . ." His voice trailed off in utter confusion.

     Whoops. I had no idea I just let it slip. "Yes . . . it's a long story. I can tell you later, that is, if you want me to." The dangerous situation had finally gotten Shoto to talk to me, in a way that I forgot things weren't okay between us. I had just remembered it now, and the last thing I wanted was for him to think I was trying to force us back together.