Chapter 26

"The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded. Sometimes destroyed." -Ernest Hemingway

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Fireproof by One Direction

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     I couldn't control myself when he began apologizing for wanting to hold my hand. It wasn't his fault, it was mine. I had been too afraid to let him.

     I suddenly stopped walking, overcome by my undeniable feelings. My chest filled with tension, telling me I was about to lose it. How could you apologize?! I wanted you to hold my hand. I really, really did!

     "Y-you can hold my hand as much as you w-want!" I blurted out to him. He was watching me as I said it, though he was a couple paces ahead of me now.

     All of the sudden, tears began running down my face. Embarrassed to be crying in front of him, I shielded my face with my wrists and hands.

     I heard him run back to me, and I felt his comforting hands on my shoulders.

    "(Y/N), are you okay?" he asked, concern in his deep voice. "What's wrong?"

     His soft voice and touch seemed to bring more tears. I couldn't make it stop.

     "Hey . . ." he soothed.

     I sniffled a little and brought my hands down from face. I was sure Nachika meant for me to only tell him my feelings when we talked last night, but at that moment, I knew I was about to tell him everything.

    "I'm sorry, Shoto!" I cried. "I'm . . . so sorry . . ."

     "For what? What's the matter?" He stroked my hair, trying to comfort me.

     "Because . . . I-I'm in love with you, Shoto! I think ever since you rescued me off the street that night, the night I first met you." I paused to sob a little and drag my arm across my eyes. "But you deserve so much better than this; you see, I haven't been honest with you. I've been hiding so much . . . I'm an assassin. I didn't choose to be, but I've been made to do it since I was taken from my village. I'm forbidden to tell anyone, or get too close to anyone, but then you came . . . you lit up my world, but at the same time, y-you were like a shot through the heart, Shoto."

     I cried a little more, then continued. "I was so afraid to love you, with my situation, the danger I'd place you in, and I wasn't sure if even I would be able to handle it. And I'm still afraid you won't accept me, now that I told you . . . I really don't expect you to! I've killed people, Shoto, and I've lied to you . . . so many times! Kaito's not my brother, he's my roommate. I don't have a family, or grandparents like I said-"

     I was abruptly interrupted as Shoto's lips suddenly pressed against mine, kissing me deeply. He moved closer to me so that our bodies touched, and his hands crept up to either side of my face. 

     I recovered quickly from the shock, then found myself melting in his sudden act of affection. I kissed him back, then moved my hands up to the back of his head, leaning in for more.

     He kissed me thoroughly again, this time hugging me close.

     The tears were still leaking out of my closed eyes, though I wasn't sure they were of sadness, happiness, or both. I didn't want to let go of him, or this moment. Even after everything I just said? Shoto . . .

Shot Through The Heart   (Shoto Todoroki x Reader)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें