Chapter 15

"'Are you okay', they ask. I respond as quickly as I can so they will not notice the earthquakes in my voice or the tsunamis in my eyes or the drought in my heart." -Ellen Everett

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Stand In The Rain by Superchick

----------

Nachika's POV

     It seemed that Taega had nothing else to say after (Y/N) left. She crawled onto her bed and began organizing her things.

    Never in my life had I felt so bad or someone as I did for (Y/N) at that moment. I felt bad for all the times I'd ignored her because I had Riku, and I had thought she wasn't as cool as us. Never had I been more mistaken. But now that she found Shoto, someone that really seemed to care about her, I felt truly happy for her. I felt happy that she had the confidence in me to open up and tell me about him. It was then that I wanted to help her.

     The best I could do now, however, was talk to Kaito.

     I walked to his bedside and leaned towards him so that I wouldn't have to speak loud.

     "Hey, Nachika," Kaito said, a little surprised. "What's up?"

     "Kaito, I need to talk to you about (Y/N)," I began.

     "Yeah, she seemed pretty sad," he agreed. "I can't say that Taega particularly nice to her though."

     "Kaito! Open your eyes!" I exclaimed, but quiet enough so Taega wouldn't hear. "This boy, Shoto . . . (Y/N) is in love with him and Taega knows it! Didn't you see the look on her face as Taega began rambling about him? Then you praised Taega, making her feel even worse. Be a little more sensitive!"

     Kaito was silent for a time. His expression was blank, so I couldn't get an idea of what he was thinking.

     I gently shook his shoulder. "Kaito, say something!"

    "Wait so, this Shoto fellow - (Y/N) knows him too?" He still seemed a little confused.

    "Yes, and she's in love with him!" I repeated, but with more emphasis this time. "Don't tell her I told you, though. And don't tell Taega, though I suspect she already knows."

     Kaito nodded, saying nothing.

    Presently, Taega grabbed her purse and strode towards the door. "Okay, Kaito, Nachika, I'm off to Shoto's house! Probably won't be home until late."

     Kaito and I said nothing as we watched her leave.

----------

At the school, (Y/N)'s POV

     I tried practicing my competition piece, a fast concerto I had pushed myself to learn. As I played it, however, I couldn't capture the right emotions for it. Music wasn't about listening to something, it was about feeling something. But I felt like this piece would only make my audience wish it could be over.

     I put my violin down, and watched through the window as birds flew by. I knew why I couldn't make music with this particular piece. My music reflected how I felt, so a piece that required a happy mood wouldn't work right now.

     I changed the music on my stand to something more solemn, the first movement of a different concerto that was darker in tone. I picked up my instrument and played it, expressing every thought, every emotion, that had been building in me ever since Taega returned home. I released my damaged feelings, my sadness, my anger towards Taega, and my love for Shoto all in melodious passion. It felt good, like I was letting it all out by screaming. But it felt better than screaming.