Chapter 52

"I am not for everyone. I know my truth, I know who I am, I know what I do and do not bring to the table. I'm not easy to deal with but I do bring tons of value. I bring love and strength, but I am not perfect, and if I don't fit in with a person or group that is okay with me." ~Sylvester McNutt

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Breathe by Ryan Star

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     I looked around. It appeared that I was back in the agency, though I didn't recognize the room. It was extremely bright, and there was concrete everywhere I looked.

     I looked down at my hands, and was shocked to see how pale they were. It was then that I realized I was sprawled on the floor, in what seemed to be a puddle of my own blood. My clothes, hair, face - everything was stained.

     What the . . .? This was scaring me.

    I noticed someone before me. It was a boy with half-white, half-red hair who I recognized well. The bottom of his shirt was raggedly torn up, and there was blood all over him as well . . . my blood. His back towards me, he had flames enveloping his left arm and shoulder, and an icy pathway was forming from his right foot. I wasn't sure if he noticed me.

     Shoto! I thought. I wanted to run to him, and together we'd leave this place. I wanted to take his hand and throw my arms around him like I always did when I saw him. I tried moving, dragging myself along the ground towards him, with great difficulty. I found I was out of breath after only a few seconds.

     It felt like pain was exploding from every ligament, every tendon of my body. I even more weak, I could barely move and I couldn't even bring myself to talk. I could move my eyelids . . . that was about it. All I could do was watch Shoto and see what he would do next.

     There another person who stood before Shoto. I recognized him, he was one of our squad's main bosses. I'd only seen him around a few times, and I couldn't remember his name.

     The boss took a step towards Shoto then stood still, giving him a malignant stare.

     Shoto then seemed to become confused, looking around in every direction as if trying to find something. Blazing fire then burst from the left side of his body and he let the flames fly almost everywhere. He must've known I was here because he seemed careful not to spread his fire towards me. The boss dodged his attack though, almost too easily.

     He was still looking around, even though the man didn't stand far from him. In fact, he was moving closer and closer with a loaded revolver in his hand.

     What's going on?! Can't you see him?! Shoto! I wanted to scream so bad, or rush in to save him but my body would hardly move.

     At that moment, a second boss agent appeared, immediately catching Shoto's attention.

     Shoto launched a deadly ice attack in his direction, but the man nearly evaded it by jumping over it and sliding towards him.

     I saw the man reach out and barely touched Shoto's thigh before he was hurled into the wall by a second ice barrage. He seemed unconscious after that.

     Shoto then returned to looking frantically around, but this time his quirk began shooting in random directions that made no sense.

     Before I knew it I was enveloped in a steaming charge of Shoto's own fire. . . .I wanted to cry out in agony but no sound would come out. I felt the scalding burn on my skin, on my face and hands. The searing pain was unlike anything I'd ever felt before. I was panicking, I couldn't breathe.