Chapter 22

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."          ~Leopold Stokowski

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Brave Enough by Lindsey Stirling feat. Christina Perri

(Also suggested for you music nerds: Sibelius Violin Concerto in D Minor Op. 47, 1st movement)

----------

Shoto's POV

     Competitor after competitor, concerto after concerto. Unless they were playing piano, all the contestants played with either a piano accompaniment or a small chamber orchestra. All of them were outstanding, from the freshman playing the clarinet to the senior playing the harp. With every performance, I found getting more and more nervous as (Y/N)'s time drew near.

     "You need to calm down, Todoroki!" Iida, who was on my other side, harshly whispered.

     "I'm sorry," I responded. "I just really want (Y/N) to do well."

     "We all do," he answered.

     Suddenly, Midoriya's voice pierced through the applause of the last performance. "Next, we have (Y/N) (L/N) from the Girl's Academy. Look's like she's been playing since she was nine. Wow."

     I didn't realize how fast my heart was beating until now. However, I refused to any signs of my nerves and get chastened by Iida again. 

     On stage, Midoriya cleared his throat. "(Y/N) (L/N)," he announced again.

     Silence.

     Confused, Midoriya looked at the judges below him in the front row. Then he walked back stage, only to come back in a few seconds alone.

     The president of the music organization got up on stage, and took the microphone from Midoriya.

     "If Miss (Y/N) is not here and does not come to take her spot in this competition, she will be automatically disqualified." He gave the microphone back to Midoriya.

     The judges looked at each other, than around.

     The audience began whispering in concern.

     I looked around, then at my friends. I whispered to Uraraka, "where do you think she is?"

    "Oh gosh, I don't know! Please come, (Y/N)!" She clasped her hands together in nervousness.

     Please get here, (Y/N).

     The president muttered something to Midoriya that we couldn't hear. We had an idea though, because Midoriya said "are you sure?"

     The president only nodded, and stepped off stage.

     Midoriya hesitated. "Well, seeing that (Y/N) is not here . . . we will now be hearing from-"

     "Wait!" a sudden girl's voice came from backstage. With it was the sound of running feet.

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     I ran as fast as the heels Nachika had lent me would allow me to. I scurried awkwardly onto the stage with my violin and bow in my hand, out of breath but relieved I'd made it.