Chapter 4

"I was in the middle before I knew I had begun." ~Jane Austen

♥♥♥

♪Listening Suggestion: Secret Love by Hunter Hayes

----------

In room with teammates, (Y/N)'s POV

     Apparently the crazy driver of the notorious car from the other night had been an ally to the "backpack man". He was literally sent just to stop whoever was after the important files in the backpack. He was literally sent to kill me.

     And now, the same guy was assisting this terrorist we were now supposed to catch. No one knew about the car incident, but the moment I was shown a picture of one of the suspect cars, everything made sense. Same model, same last four license plate digits.

     I sighed from a chair in the back of the room as one of our bosses talked with Riku and Kaito. It all just reminded me how dangerous my job was.

     Presently, our boss left and Riku began giving us a run down on what we were supposed to do to catch the terrorist. 

     I wasn't listening. It was going to be similar to all the other times we were sent to catch someone, besides, I was too mentally distracted.

     I glanced down at my hand, where Shoto had written his number. I quickly closed it, because the more I looked at it the more I blushed. Why is he being so nice to me? Ever after knowing who I am (school wise), and me knowing who he is, he still wants to get to know me?

     For the hundredth time since I returned from school, I checked my phone. Nothing.

     It's ok, I unconvincingly said to myself. It had only been three hours since I got back.

     "(Y/N), are you even listening?"

     I jerked my head up to Riku's authoritative voice. "Um...yes! Catch the terrorist!"

     All three of my teammates rolled their eyes. 

     "I just said we're getting on a plane," Riku said. "We have to reach Osaka before the suspect does."

     A plane? For how long? How much school will I miss? Those were questions that would reveal how much I hadn't been paying attention. I bit my tongue and only said, "Ok".

     "Okay, good," said Riku. "Everyone pack the stuff you need. We need to leave tonight."

     The three of them began scrambling around the room, gathering their things and throwing them into their suitcases. Shirts, pants, socks, "unmentionables", coats, toothbrushes; the room was in silent chaos for the next few minutes.

     I eventually got up and began to get my things together. When I was halfway done, I paused to check my phone again. NOTHING.

     I knew that I shouldn't be, but I was quickly becoming frustrated. I mentally slapped myself. "Come on! It's not like I'm just waiting for him to text me!!" 

     It was then that I realized I had just said it aloud.

     Three pairs of eyes were instantly turned on me, and I just wanted to scream.

     "(Y/N)? Are you alright?" Kaito asked. "Who's 'him'?"

     "Oh, sorry...nothing. My social studies teacher is supposed to give us our grades for the last project." That was pretty convincing, to me anyway.