Chapter 55

"This is the story of becoming a hero the hard way." -Unknown

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Viva La Vida by Coldplay (this cover though)

----------

The next afternoon, the agency. Kaito's POV

     Nachika opened the door and I suddenly stood up. Did she have news from (Y/N)? Was she okay? Was she even alive? I hadn't slept at all last night. The agency had shut down our cell signal for a time because of the security breech, in other words, because of (Y/N)'s escape. There was no way to contact her, so Nachika and I had spent all night worrying.

     "She's safe." 

     That was all I needed to hear. I felt like I was able to breathe again, like I'd been holding my breath the entire time. "She's free then . . ."

     Nachika's eyes became misty. "For now. I feel like it won't be long until they find out where she is."

     "She's with Shoto?" I assumed.

     "Yes, she's at the school with him."

     It's fine, she's safe, I told myself.  They've got quirks over there that no one has seen before. She can be protected.  Yet I still felt a pain in my chest, a greater ache like I'd been experiencing a lot lately.

     My mind began to drift.

----------

*flashback to ten years ago*

     The foster care home I lived at was alive at this time of night.  It was just after dinner and kids were running around, mostly the younger ones trying to escape being bullied by the older ones. I was five, quiet, and did my best to stay out of it all. Occasionally, I would get beaten up by the teenagers for not sharing my food or doing other things, but at this point I was over it. I was young, but all I wanted was to leave this place, or even die. 

     I sat there at the corner of the steps, partly in the shadows while hugging myself  tightly. I watched as all the other kids ran around screaming and crying.  Eventually I started sobbing, a normal occurrence, the tears leaving my large, sad eyes in streams.

     I was so caught up with myself that I didn't realize a little girl crouched in the corner of the living room, also crying.  I had never seen her before, and she looked about my age. She was tiny, with long, silky (H/C) hair and she was wearing a white dress.

     My small self crept down the stairs and walked to her.  

    "Hey," I said.

     The little girl looked up. She had enormous (E/C) eyes, and one of them was surrounded by a dark bruise. She must have been hit by one of the older boys. "Hi," she peeped.

     I sat beside her. "What happened to your eye?" 

     She sniffled and wiped her tears away. "One of the big boys punched me because I wouldn't take off my clothes. He pushed me down the stairs afterwards." She revealed to me the additional bruises on her arms and legs.

    "You should tell on him," I suggested, knowing that even if she did, it wouldn't make a difference. The adults here couldn't care less about what went on in this place.