Chapter 28

"In your dark days, just turn around and I will be there. And maybe I won't have any more light to give than what you already have. But I will take your hand and we will find the light together." ~Unknown

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Chances by The Backstreet Boys

----------

A week later, Shoto's dorm. (Y/N)'s POV

     Today I was the day I decided to give Shoto the brunt of my life as a teenage assassin. It was hard for me to talk about it, which is why I'd waited, but now I was ready. We were sitting on his bed doing homework for a while until I brought it up.

     "This can't wait . . ." I suddenly said, breaking our studious silence. I put down my pencil.

     "What is it?" Shoto asked, doing the same and turning to me.

     "There's a few things I've put off telling you - about my being an agent - that I want to tell you now."

     "Okay," he said, moving his textbook off his lap. Still looking at me, he leaned forward with his elbows on his thighs, hands clasped. I have to admit I was always so turned on when he sat like that.

     I sighed a little. "So . . . me, Kaito, and two other kids were taken from the same town when we were about five, from different places though. One of us was from an orphanage, another from the alleys, and then Kaito and I were from the same foster home. We didn't want to go, but our guardians (if we had some) gave us to the agency after being offered a lot of money. After that, we were sent on a plane here."

     "(Y/N) . . ." he gently rubbed my back in sympathy.

     I scooted a little closer to him before continuing. "As soon as we got here we were registered and then we got our chips. It hurt like hell, I still remember when they put it it. It hurt for days after." I shuddered.

     "Is it like a microchip?" he asked.

     I nodded. "Yeah, sort of, except it does a lot more than that. It's a tracking device, and my higher-ups control how far I can or can't go. That's why I'm always asking how far away places are. And then, another thing I didn't tell you . . . I do have a quirk."

     "So you're not quirkless, then. What is it?"

     "I don't know it's official name, but I can create invincible force-fields, though how long I can hold it depends on how strong I am at the moment. I just tell people I'm quirkless because of the chip; it shuts off my ability to use it. I remember only just starting to use it before I was brought here." I paused to look at him.

     Shoto seemed a little indignant. "You mean they control you so much that you can't use the abilities you were born with?"

     I nodded.

     "Do you all have quirks?"

     Again, I nodded. "Yes, and we all have chips." I wasn't sure if Taega had a quirk, but as far as Shoto knew, she wasn't even affiliated with me in this way. I didn't plan on telling him about that right now. However, I knew that Nachika, Riku, Kaito and I all had quirks.

     "Where is it?" he asked. "The chip."

     I got up from the bed and stood in front of him. I felt around for it above my right ear. "It's here somewhere . . ."

     Shoto got up, now standing close before me. He placed his hands on the sides of my head but searched with only his left. "This side?"

     I took my hand down and nodded.