Chapter 14

"You can't keep her in a cage, clip her wings, tell her lies, say that fragile birds were never meant to fly. Watch her live behind a rusted door, latched tight, her spirit slipping away so you can keep her in sight. Beautiful creatures cannot be confined. Her wings will grow, she'll find the sky." -Christy Ann Martine

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Cry Pretty by Carrie Underwood

----------

Shortly after, Taega's POV

     I'd been watching (Y/N) and Shoto during their conversation under the tree. Even before then, I'd been quietly observing (Y/N), back in class or in our room at the agency. What was it that people, boys as well as girls, liked so much about her? I had come to a conclusion by the end of the day.

     For one, she was caring, but also quiet and a little shy. She was innocent, but smart at the same time. It was easy to underestimate, or even take advantage of her sometimes. The only reason she'd be a doormat sometimes was that she was afraid to hurt anyone. If she had to though, she really knew how to kick butt. But she was sweet and selfless...that had to be why she drew in people like a magnet. It had to be why Shoto liked her more than me.

     Now, I wasn't about to tell anyone of my thoughts. However, I'd decided that I wanted to act more like her. Another thing I was never going to tell a soul . . . I liked Shoto, a lot, and I really wanted him to like me too.

     I watched as Shoto and (Y/N) parted ways. When (Y/N) was out of sight, I ran to catch up with Shoto.

     "Shoto!" I yelled.

----------

Shoto's POV

     I turned around to see Taega running towards me. I didn't want to talk to her, but I also didn't want to be rude. I stopped and let her catch up to me.

     "Shoto, I just want to say I'm sorry!" She said once she stopped in front of me.

     "For what?" I asked.

     "For being loud and annoying and talking on and on of just myself. You see, I just think you're really cool . . . and I just want with you what you and (Y/N) have!"

     I only became more confused. "What do you mean?"

     "You're such good friends . . . I can just tell. This may sound super cliche, but will you please be my friend? I promise I'll be quieter and not in your face so much."

     She seemed to be truly sincere. She looked up at me with her large, pleading blue eyes, making it impossible to say no. But there was one condition I wanted to add first. "Will you promise to act around my friends the way you'll act around me? The way you ignored (Y/N) and her friend, Uraraka, Midoriya, and even Bakugo . . . was pretty sickening."

     "Yes, I'm so sorry! I promise to treat them all with my full amount of respect. Please just accept my apology . . . I've been such a b*tch!" She looked down at the grass, grasping the elbow of her hanging arm with her other hand. "It's just that, I think you're awesome. I want to know you the way (Y/N) does."

     I actually began to understand her at this point. She would act loud and in my face because she was so excited to meet me, but now she realized what a pain in the butt she became. If she behaves herself, I see no problem with it.