Chapter 19

"The only thing worse than not knowing where she belonged . . . was knowing where she didn't." - Tessa Shaffer

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Hurt By You by Sophie Rose

----------

About three weeks later, hotel in Nagasaki. (Y/N)'s POV

     It had been twenty days since I came to Nagasaki. During that time, I'd been able to successfully find and track the suspect, as well as attach a weightless tracking device to one of the many scarves he always wore. Though that was all the mission had initially called for, I had recently received a call from the agency that they wanted me to keep on him for a while, and find out more about him if I could. So, I was still in Nagasaki doing agent work, trying to keep up my schoolwork and violin practicing.

     Today, however, it was raining outside. I was feeling rather lazy, and was only lying on the bed, listening to music, and thinking.

     I still thought of Shoto often. Even when I was out in the field, I found myself wondering what he was doing at the moment. As far as communication went, however, I hadn't spoken to him since the day I left, even though he had called me once and texted three times.

     I guess, I was trying to protect myself. The more I talked to him, the more I fell for him. The more I fell, the more I got hurt in the end. I felt a pang of guilt every time I decided not to answer, but I was afraid to fall any harder.

    There was also the initial issue of me being a damn assassin kid, the issue I hadn't thought much of lately. Every week, there were stories around the agency that innocent people had been killed just because they had a relationship to an agent. We were all being followed by dangerous people, and they went for anyone they could lay their hands on. I was afraid for Mikura, Midoriya, Bakugo, and the others. However I was terrified for Shoto, not just because I loved him so much, but because he was so intimate with Taega. Taega was a danger to him, as was I.

     It was depressing to think about. I tried to erase my mind of the matter and turned my music up louder. 

     Just then, the song was interrupted by a text message I had suddenly received. I glanced at the screen to see who it was.

     Katsuki Bakugo

     I laughed a little and opened it to see what he wanted.

     So the dance in a week . . . wanna go with me?

     I knew it was gonna come sooner or later, ever since Shoto had told me a few weeks ago. I let a few minutes slip by before I responded.

     Sure :)

     Almost just as I had sent it, he decided to call me. My ringtone suddenly blared in the dead silent room, startling me out of my mind. I picked up right away to end the noise.

     "Hello, Bakugo," I said calmly.

     "Hi, good afternoon," he responded. "Actually, closer to evening."

     I looked out the window. He was right, night was actually starting to fall as it continued to rain. It was probably even darker where Bakugo was.

     "Thanks for saying you'll go to the dance with me," he said. "I wasn't sure when to ask you but I thought I put it off long enough. You'll be back in time, won't you?"

     I nodded even though he couldn't see me. "Yeah, I should. You see, my aunt and uncle just had a baby and I had to come with the rest of the family...but hopefully I'll be back within the week." I felt like my heart face-palmed for the hundredth time at my lie.