Chapter 21

"What's coming will come and we'll face it when it does." - Hagrid from Harry Potter

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Home by Chris Daughtry

----------

The next day, hotel in Nagasaki. (Y/N)'s POV

     There was no way I would take a hero hostage. Not only that, but I literally couldn't.  A basically quirkless girl with martial arts alone could never take down a pro hero. After I'd returned Edgeshot's wallet, I was too stunned to do anything. I decided to just let him go.

     However, I couldn't not do my job. There was nothing I wanted more than to let Edgeshot go for good and forget about the whole "case", but I was more concerned with the serious punishment I'd receive if I did such a thing. When I got back to my hotel room, I immediately called an authority and said I couldn't fulfill the mission alone, and needed a team to replace me. My request was granted, and the matter was taken off my hands. After all, I was only sent to track Edgeshot; no one expected me to take him down.

      I called Kaito after talking to the boss and told him everything. He was just as shocked as I was after hearing about our suspect's identity. I told him I wanted him to come, because I was suddenly unsure about so many things and I didn't want to be alone, even if I was here for just one more day. Responsible as he was, he got here this morning. 

     Presently, he was helping me pack my things for the train ride home.

     "Not that I'm hurt or anything," Kaito said as he folded a few of my shirts, "but why did you request for a whole new team, and not just call me to take care of it?"

     "I'm sorry, Kaito," I apologized. "I know I said I would call you for help, but I guess I was being a little selfish."

     He stopped and looked at me. "How so?"

     I stopped for a moment as well. "Because when I found that Shinya Kamihara was a hero, I was shook, confused and even a little devestated. You and I don't know the story behind this case, but I knew right there that I would never take him as a fugitive. I would never take any hero . . . and I didn't want you to either. I didn't want to have to think that you captured a hero and turned him into our crap agency. I figured I'd feel better if a squad I didn't know took on the job. I'm really sorry."

     "No, don't be," he replied. "I understand. I probably wouldn't be able to do it either. It seems wrong. It is wrong." He resumed folding.

     I began placing my things in my suitcase again, glad that he wasn't offended. However, my stomach was still in knots about the whole thing. I wanted to tell him more.

     "Kaito?"

     "Yeah?"

     "I'm aware that this isn't an achievable dream, but if we ever escape this whole damn assassin-spy business, I wanna free Edgeshot and do everything I can to repay him for all the trouble. I wanna do that for him, and any other hero they might be holding." I was suddenly aware of the shakiness of my voice.

     "If you do that, I'm gonna help you," he answered. "This is evil, what they're doing. One day we'll stop it."

     I nodded, glad that I'd called Kaito to be with me. I felt absolutely miserable.

    "Kaito, I'm scared!" I wanted to pour out everything to him, while no one else was here. "I'm so unsure about the agency now, and what we do . . . why are we capturing heroes? Heroes save and protect us, fight the villains, risk their lives to make this world a better place-"