Chapter 32

"It's hard watching someone you love, love someone else." -Unknown

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Who Do You Love by The Chainsmokers ft. 5 Seconds Of Summer

---------- 

The next day, (Y/N)'s POV

     I put away a few of my books after the lunch bell rang. As much as I wanted to see Shoto, I decided that today I was gonna eat lunch with Mikura. I didn't want to be the girl that gets the boy then ditches the friends. Mikura as well had planned to set aside time for me, instead of disappearing with Keitaro. We wanted a time where it could just be like old times.

     "Isn't it strange how fast things have changed?" Mikura said as we walked out of the school and towards our favorite tree.

     I nodded. "Yeah, it seems like only yesterday I was crying over the fact that Shoto was going out with Taega. Remember the incident at the mochi stand?"

     She nodded vigorously. "I probably won't forget it . . . (Y/N) I felt so bad for you. That must've hurt like crazy, I can't imagine."

     We sat down under the shade of the tree and pulled out our food.

     "So how are things with you and Taega?" Mikura asked, her mouth full.

     "Ugh, not that great," I confessed. "Yesterday I asked her if she wanted to be friends, and put the whole thing behind us. She only stomped away, though."

     "Bless your heart, (Y/N). You asked to be friends? I swear, you're too good for this world."

     "Mikura!" I exclaimed. "The way you said that, you made it seem like I'm about to die or something."

     She shrugged. "I'm just saying, you have a real big heart. Shoto's really lucky."

     I laughed a little. "No, but really - I don't think Taega and I will ever be on friendly terms."

    "It's fine, (Y/N). Don't worry about something that's her problem."

     "Yeah, you're right." But you don't know that I have to live with her! I added.

     I then changed the subject. "You know that Shoto . . . may have asked me on a date . . . for my birthday on Friday." I wasn't sure why I was embarrassed to say it. I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks.

     "You don't say?!" Mikura put down her food and crawled towards me so that she sat directly before me. "About time . . . he's a little shy, isn't he?"

     "I think he's just reserved," I responded.

     She playfully hit me. "Oh c'mon, guys are always shy when they're trying to ask out the girl they like. Shoto, especially though. He's been trying to build up the courage since . . . let's see." She stared off into space trying to make the calculation.

     "Whoa, whoa, whoa." I waved my arms to get back her attention. "You know? I mean, you knew he was gonna ask me out?!" I wasn't offended or anything, just surprised.

     ". . .Oh." Mikura covered her mouth with her hand. "You weren't supposed to know that . . . let's just say that guys can't do it all by themselves."

     I laughed. "Gosh, what am I going to do with you?"

    "But hey! If he didn't tell me, I wouldn't have known what to get you for a present, but now I've got one!" She squealed in excitement.