Chapter 36

"Step into this experience with butterflies in your bones; with a nervous feeling so beautiful, you know you're doing something right." ~ D. Antoinette Foy

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Night Changes by One Direction

----------

Late afternoon the next day. (Y/N)'s POV

     It turned out that the only reason I was called back the the agency yesterday was because our main boss wanted us all back early to clean our room. There wasn't much to be done, since by the time I got back, Kaito, Nachika, and Taega had pretty much taken care of it. This had me upset, since I felt it had wasted time that I could've spent with Shoto. But still, I had to obey orders and the boss would've had my hide if I hadn't shown.

     Today, however, couldn't have gone by slower. My excitement of the coming evening was growing with every passing minute, and sitting in class waiting for it was driving me mad. I'd brought the dress I planned on wearing in my backpack, so that after school I could go straight to Mikura's house, but I felt like I'd never get there. To frustrate me even further, I got stuck at lunch detention because of a stupid language assignment I'd forgotten about. I couldn't see Shoto during our break because of it, and I had to stay indoors with the principal.

     Finally, however, I found myself running with Mikura to her house, not wasting a second the moment the bell rang.

     My backpack clunked annoyingly on my back and my arm was getting tired from holding my violin in its case, but nothing could dull my happiness of finally being out of school.

     "You can run faster than that (Y/N)!" Mikura called behind her, as she was a few yards ahead of me. "I thought you were a soccer player!"

     "Was a soccer player!" I corrected her. "The coach didn't let me into the team this year, remember?!" Even though I'd reasoned so hard with him to let me join, he said I had too may commitment issues, meaning when I suddenly disappeared for weeks on missions. I felt sad about it, but I knew I'd eventually play with the team again. That is, after the jailbreak that Shoto and I had yet to plan.

     "Besides!" I continued to shout after her. "I'm basically running with two backpacks!" I switched my violin over to my other arm, since the other one now felt like it was gonna fall off.

     At last we made it to Mikura's house. After shutting ourselves inside, I dropped all my things on the floor and collapsed on the couch. Exhausted, I groaned into a pillow.

     My resting period was disappointingly brief, as Mikura snatched another pillow and brought it down hard on my head.

     "Hey!" I barked.

     "We don't have time for this, (Y/N)! Shoto will be here in four hours, we really, really need to get started." She began pulling me off the couch by the arm.

     "Mikura!" I complained. "It won't take me four hours to get ready. It won't even take me one hour to get ready. Can I just take a nap?" I'd rather look a little less than my best, but be able to stay awake late than be falling asleep on my first date.

      She let go of my arm and sighed. "Okay, two hours. But know that I will be panicked and rushing, and I may not have time to give you my best."

     "Mikura it's totally fine . . ." I muttered as I closed my eyes.

----------