Chapter 13

"Sometimes, a friend is better than a boyfriend." -Veronica Lodge from Riverdale

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Just A Friend To You by Meghan Trainor

----------

During class, Shoto's POV

     I couldn't get my mind off of what happened that morning. Midoriya's advice, Kirishima's words, how (Y/N) looked when she ran away...I couldn't stop thinking about it. I also kept regretfully thinking about what I should've done.

     I pulled my phone out and glanced at it under my desk. I know class is in session, but I'm gonna text her.

     Hi (Y/N), I wanted to say earlier but you ran off...No, no. Then that's like saying it's her fault.

     I looked up briefly to see where Aizawa's attention was. It wasn't on me, so I resumed brainstorming for an appropriate message.

     I'm sorry I couldn't say hi to you earlier, but I saw you run off from the schoolyard. I stared at it for half a minute, my thumb hovering over the send button.

     Um, actually no. I deleted it and started over.

     "Is that the girl?" someone whispered over my shoulder.

     My head whipped around on Kirishima, his pointy shark teeth grinning mischievously.

     "Yes, now sit down!" I ordered. "You'll give me away."

     However, Aizawa suddenly called us out, startling us both.

     "Todoroki? What are you doing that is so distracting to other students?" He began to walk over.

     I quickly slid my phone into my desk and pretended to play with the end of my tie. "Nothing, sir. There was a stray thread at the end of my tie...I was just fixing it. I don't know why Kirishima's so interested."

     Kirishima laughed nervously. "Yeah, sorry about that. I'll sit down now."

     "Hmph. . ." Aizawa returned to the front of the class and resumed teaching.

     As soon as his eyes were off of my area of the room, I again got out my phone. I thought of a few alternative things to say, but couldn't settle on any of them. I didn't want it to sound too creepy or stalkish. 

     Finally, I agreed on one.

    Hi

    It was the only one that didn't give me nerves or guilt.

    Wow, she's responding. That was fast . . . My eyes were glued to the screen at this point.

    "I don't have a problem with phones in class," Aizawa suddenly said, louder than how he'd been talking previously, "but if you are on the phones, then I have a problem with it. Todoroki, please bring your device to my desk."

     My head jerked up. "Oh, yes sir." I slowly rose from my seat.

    "I knew you were doing something on it a moment ago, but I decided to let it go. However, now you've lost it for the rest of the period." He took my phone from my hands when I came to him and put it on his desk. He then told me to go back to my seat.

     "Honestly, I'm surprised with you, ice-boy. You're one I'd least expect to have phone issues with." He resumed the class shortly after.

     I didn't seem like it, but I was extra nervous now. (Y/N) was replying, but now there was nothing I could do about it.