Chapter 54

"You have a place in my heart no one else ever could have."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Chance by Francis Moon

----------

Shoto's POV

     I took her hand as I we dove under. I focused the heat of my left side into my hand, making it glow. Since we were underwater I would never be able to generate fire, but this way I could at least use it to light the way.

     We got to the bottom, our ears feeling like they were going to explode from the pressure. I let (Y/N) hold onto me so that she wouldn't float away, as I planted my feet on either side of the vent and took hold of the door with both hands.

      I pulled and pulled, with no small amount of doubt running through my brain. What if I can't open it? What if (Y/N) drowns before I open it? Where does this even lead if I open it? I tried to clear my head of these thoughts. They only used up my energy.

     In one final exertion of strength, I accidentally let all my air go in a series of bubbles. My eyes went wide with panic. However, I realized I had also pulled the door from the floor at last.

     I turned around to face (Y/N), motioning with my head for her to go.

     She obeyed, giving me one last look of longing before swimming through.

     I followed close behind. 

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     Every bone, every muscle, every ligament, every cell in my strained body screamed in pain, cruelly reminding me that the human body wasn't created to endure such punishment. If only it understood that I had no choice, that if not from overexertion I would surely drown.

     I didn't know how much longer I'd be able to hold my breath. The vent took a ninety-degree turn so that it felt like we were swimming horizontally rather than vertically down. I didn't know how long this ominous tunnel was.

     But then I saw a light.

     I squinted, it wasn't just any light. It was daylight. Pure, precious daylight.

    I kicked harder. I swam faster. Eventually the water seemed to be emptying out, and at last I was able to breathe. I gasped, filling my lungs with the oxygen they craved, not caring how bad the air smelled.

     I reached the opening, a drainage vent blocked by an iron grill. I clutched onto the metal for a while, catching my breath. When I felt strong enough, I pushed the lid out of the way. It was a pleasant surprise that it wasn't heavy. However, I was too weak to lift myself out of the hole.

     I looked behind me for Shoto. I couldn't see him, the tunnel was pitch black except for the ray of sun that I was waiting in. Wouldn't I have seen a glow if he were behind me? Where was he?

     I started to panic, chills running through my veins all over again. Did he not make it? What if he drowned?

     Just then, he splashed up beside me, gasping for air.

     I threw my arms around him. "We got out! Thank you . . ." I began to cough up bits of  blood.

    "Whoa. . ." Without hesitation, Shoto wrapped an arm around my waist, holding me securely as he lifted me and himself out of the drain. We were a soiled, half-naked, half-drowned mess as we rolled onto the street. He then carried me to the grass so we were safe from cars.