Blindness

A loud ringing caused my eyes to shoot open. In Beacon Hills, there was no such thing as a good night sleep anymore. It reminded me of the first night where Stiles took us out into the forest. I sighed, sitting up, not be able to help the sadness engulfing my mind. My heart ached at the thought of not telling him what was going on but I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if he got hurt. 

Scott had set up a meeting with Deucalion that only Malia, him, and I knew about. We figured not telling the others would be the safer thing to do, just in case anything would happen. I'm not sure how much I exactly trust Deucalion, but he was our only key to fighting the Anuk-Ite unless we all wanted to rip our eyes out. I quickly got changed before meeting up with Scott and Malia as we took off to visit Deucalion. 

"Are you sure this is the right place?" I asked, following Scott further into the abandoned shipyard. The containers echoed as we walked into a big section; the containers towering over us. 

Suddenly, a loud echo pierced through the air, causing me to whip around. Deucalion stood on top of one of the containers, holding his cane.

"Any of you know the term for what I'm doing?" He asked us from above. 

"Echolocation," I responded and he smirked. "You did your homework." Scott took a step forward. "We looked up a few things before we came." 

"And now you think you can learn in just one day what took me years to master?" He questioned.

"We were hoping for maybe a few highlights?" Malia stated and I nodded agreeing. "Anything that can help us fight the Anuk-Ite without looking at it." 

Deucalion slowly nodded. "Fighting blind is one thing. You haven't even learned to walk yet. An Orientation and Mobility specialist has to practice blindfolded with a white cane for at least a hundred and twenty hours before becoming certified. I can't teach you to walk and fight in less than twenty-four." He simply stated, causing Scott to sigh. 

"Look, we know the odds are bad. But Gerard's got an army. There's a creature that can scare ordinary people into becoming killers. The creature now capable of killing you with just a look." He explained. "You saw them?" Deucalion questioned and Scott nodded. "We saw people turn to stone." 

"So why aren't all of you running for your lives?" He asked as causing me to smirk. "We don't run. Our pack stands and fights." I said as I glanced at Scott. Deucalion slightly smiled. "Now that sounds like an alpha. Let's get started." 

Deucalion jumped down from the container, standing in front of us. "Unfortunately, there's one crucial difference to teaching you how to fight blind." He started. 

"We're not really blind," Scott answered as Malia furrowed her eyebrows. "Why does that matter?"

"Unless you spend the next few days walking around wearing a blindfold, all the Anuk-Ite really has to do is get you to open your eyes," Deucalion explained as I crossed my arms. "But it's not that difficult to keep your eyes closed." 

Deucalion chuckled. "You think it's that easy? What happens to your eyes when you're afraid?" He asked. "They open wide." 

Deucalion nodded. "To gather more light and send more data to the brain so you can better handle whatever threat lies in front of you." 

Malia shook her head. "I can keep my eyes closed." She boasted as Deucalion nodded. "Well, go ahead, close them." Malia shut her eyes as Deucalion walked over to a container. He smacked his cane against it, causing a loud echo to shake the air and Malia's eyes shot wide open. "You're dead."