Friends

Toni's POV
"Breast Cancer?" Betty says with a tear rolling down her cheek
Cheryl nods
"Toni, how long have you known about this?" Jughead asks
"I've known about the lump and test for a week or so, Cher just got the results now."
We all sit there for a few minutes.
"Guys, I'm sorry I ruined the celebration. I couldn't hold onto this any longer. I didn't even tell Toni about the lump until she asked about it. No one knew about the test and I was scared,"
"Hey Cheryl, look at me," I say grabbing her hands from her eyes "You have no reason to be sorry Cher. We understand,"
I hug her really tight
"Wait 8 months?" Sweetpea asks
"Ya just about, November 8th is when I took the test."
"November 11th was your wedding," Betty cuts in "Cheryl, you've been holding it in all this time?"
"Ya, I didn't want to tell anyone. But the reason sounds dumb," Cheryl explains
"Babe, you can tell them if you want, I don't care either way." I whisper to her
She nods and continues.
"I thought that Toni wouldn't want to raise a kid with me, or adopt one for that matter and I was scared that she and all of you would stop loving and caring about me," Cheryl continues to cry as I wrap my arm around her waist.
"Cheryl, you know Toni would never stop loving you, none of us would EVER stop loving you, especially over a thing you couldn't control," F.P. says
"I know,"
"And guys we decided not to tell Kait, at least until we have more information." I say
"But why?" Sweetpea asks
"Because she's an 8 year old who has gone through enough in the godforsaken town to have to worry about her mother, also she has to go to the witness stand in Montreal against Hiram and Archie so she has enough on her plate." Cheryl says
We see KT running back with the coins I "needed" off my bike.
"Uh what did I miss?" KT asks confused
"Oh just small chat why?" I said casually
"Because literally everyone is crying," Kait says ushering to the group
"Oh, well we were just... reminiscing," Jughead says
"Whatever," Kait says "Why did you need the coins?"
"We have a tradition... we bury a penny every year on July 4th," I lie
"Oh cool!"
Sweetpea digs a small hole and Kait drops in a penny, Fangs covers the hole back up and takes kait to throw the football in the landing.
I'm laying back resting on my elbows and Cher is curled up lying her head on my collarbone. I play with her hair for a while until she falls asleep. I don't even know how, its only 5 in the afternoon. Betty sits down next to me.
"Toni, when you left to go find Cheryl, how did you know she was in trouble?"
"Well, she was away for a while, and I remembered her saying she was going to get the test results no later than today, I had a gut feeling. Then, when I was walking through the forest I came up behind the tree she was at. She said Thank you doctor, hung up and threw her phone across the forest and I stepped in, I didn't want her to punch a tree or anything,"
I replied
"You're so good to her, really Toni I'm so proud of you two,"
"Thanks Betty, it means a lot. I'll be honest, i'm scared, I can't raise KT alone, I can't do anything without her. We've barely been apart since freshman year. I know she'll survive, I keep telling myself this. I'm trying so hard to hold it together for her and KT but she is the strongest person I've ever known Betty,"
"Toni, you've been her world since high school. Cheryl used to flirt with anything that moved, but the SECOND she met you, she stopped. And plus, look at that beautiful little girl that you two are giving a home. Both of you are amazing moms and you two are going to be fine. And by the way Cheryl is so badass, she got this,"
"Thank you Betty," I lie my head on Betty's shoulder and continue playing with Cheryls hair.
We sit there for a few hours until its time to leave. I decide to let Cheryl sleep so I carry her to the car. We get home and I have to wake Cheryl up. I tell KT to go get her PJ's on and slowly open the passenger side door.
"Hey beautiful," I say bending down and kissing her cheek, "unfortunately I can't lift you out of the car without hurting that pretty little head of yours,"
"You're cute TT," She says half awake
I kiss her on the nose and get a smile out of her. She gets out and leans against the car.
"You know," She says grabbing my shoulder to turn me around "I was awake for most of your conversation with Betty,"
"Which one?" I ask hoping it wasn't the one i thought it was
"The one where you said you were scared, and you knew I would survive because I'm the toughest person you know,"
"Oh that one, well it's true Cher, I didn't want to admit it to you but I'm scared babe."
"How long have we been together Antoinette? I know when you are scared,"
I let out a little laugh "am I that readable?"
"Yes, babe I don't expect you to not be scared, I'm scared too."
"I love you Cher," I say starting to cry
"I love you too Toni,"
She hugs me as I start to break down and cry.
"Babe, its okay, I'm not going anywhere ok, I'm going to fight I will beat it."
"I know Cheryl, I know you will,"
"Want to go watch Gossip Girl and cuddle?" Cheryl asks
"With you? Always,"
We walk in and I'm all puffy eyed and my mascara is running all over the place.
"Ok so is the Fourth of July a sad holiday in the USA?"
"Not at all, these are tears of joy!" I lie
"Mhm hm and uh why are you so happy?"
"Because I have my 2 favourite girls with me today"
We group hug and then tuck Kait into bed. We lay down and turn on the TV to watch Gossip Girl. Cheryl plays with my hair as I nestle my head under her jaw bone.

THE NEXT DAY

We drop KT off at Jugheads because we had to go to the doctors for Cheryl to get her full diagnosis.
"Mrs and Mrs. Topaz Blossom, I'm afraid I do not bring any good news,"