Similar Stories

TONI's POV
"Hey Madi, I was going for a walk do you want to come?" I ask
"Sure, I guess," She shrugs and puts on her shoes
I slip my shoes on and almost topple over.
"Uh are you sure you'll be able to walk?" She asks
"Yes, I'll be fine," I say laughing
We leave the house and start walking up the road towards the forest.
"Riverdale is pretty," Madi says
"Ya, its really beautiful," I say
"You lived here your whole life?"
"Ya, I have. But, I lived in the Southside which was a little less pretty back then, your uncles have done a lot of good with it, made it more of a home than it was for me." I say
"Did you help them a lot?"
"As much as I could, I was focused on making people think of Riverdale as a whole, not split between North and Southside,"
"Did you succeed?"
"Some people have different opinions, I mean I think I atleast made it better, I met Cheryl and one of best friends Reggie in the process, people are more ok with the Southside now so, I guess,"
"Thats good," She says "I know Alex told you and Cheryl everything, she doesn't like keeping secrets, or listening to me,"
"Ya she told us some things but if you don't want to tell me your stories I could tell you some of mine,"
"You can tell your stories,"
"Well, like you and Alex, one of my parents overdosed when I was a kid but I was a little older, like 7-8. It took me a long time to get closure,"
"Ya?"
"Ya, my dad and I weren't very close but I always thought it was my fault that he died, from then on, the people I was already close with, I protected and I didn't get close to anyone new at all,"
"How did you get closure? I mean if you don't mind sharing, what did you do to figure it all out?"
"Well, I met someone new and although they don't know this story, just being with them showed me that someone cared about me and that I had a purpose, and slowly I picked the peices of myself back up and figured it was all alright, that it wasn't me it was him," I said looking down the street
"Your talking about Cheryl right?"
"Yes, for me Cheryl got me out of my own head but your uncle Jughead used his sister to get out of his. It's all about who you want to talk to, or not talk to. For me, not talking to Cheryl is my biggest regret, but some people prefer not telling their darkest parts,"
"So you felt regret?"
"Ya,"
"I don't regret anything," She confesses "I do feel guilty sometimes though,"
"Why?"
"Because the one thing I never told Lex, is that right after our Mom died, I felt, Relief," She says "My mother was a terrible person, no doubt in my mind. She did drugs, she broke the law on the daily, she abused us and let her multiple boyfriends do the same, or worse depending how much she liked them or How much they payed as I later learned. She didn't deserve to live and maybe ya I deserved her as a mother but Lexie didn't,"
Shes crying now. I notice she's only in a t-shirt and its like 38 degrees (Fairinheight), I take off my serpent jacket and give it to her.
"No, you'll get cold," She says
"Ill be ok,"
She then accepts the jacket and we keep walking.
"Madi, feeling relief isn't a bad thing." I say
"I know, I'm not even sad about my mother, if she didn't die I probably would never have met you, or Cheryl or Kait,"
"I guess that's a good way to think about it,"
" The bigger one was Ms. Tepic, she actually cared about Lex and I and then she just died and we got shipped to Seattle Children's Home, I saw her die and then they didn't do anything about it,"
"You know Cheryl has breast cancer,"
"Thats kinda why I got distant, Toni, I cant watch another person I care about die,"
"I know what you mean Madi. I'm going tell you a story but don't get scared ok? She is so much better now,"
"Ok I promise,"
"Cheryl was in a coma for a month in July/August area. I was in Montreal with Kait when Aunt Betty called me saying Cheryl was getting sicker, I raced back to Cheryls room and didn't leave her side like ever, my record was 4 days straight without sleeping. Finally I decided she shouldn't have to suffer and sat beside her bed telling her if she needed to go, go that I loved her and wanted her to be happy, you know what happened?"
"What?"
"She woke up a minute or so later and said there was no way in hell she would would leave me alone with KT because I'm a crazy person who stays up for 4 days in a row,"
"What am I supposed to take form that story? That we don't control life and Cheryl doesnt listen to you?"
"Take from it what you want, I've been in your situation before though, I'm here if you need me,"
"Do you want to do these walks often? Like talking without talking?"
"Whenever you want Madi,"
"Thanks,"
I stop on the bank of Sweetwater River and look into the water.
"Why did you stop?"
"Last story," I reply "last Year when we adopted KT, we were playing around the water, first day we had her, she tried to deke me and lost her footing and slipped in the water, I dove in after her and grabbed her, pushed her out of the water but swallowed to much water in the process I fell backwards and one of your uncles dragged me out. I was legally dead for around 5 minutes and then I came back,"
"Thats terrifying," She says stepping back from the bank "Is that story just a lesson on stay away from the water?"
"No, remember what I said to you about getting stabbed?"
"Um shit happens?"
"Right shit happens, things happen and sometimes and random times. Alex told us you thought you were jinxed?"
"Ya, everyone dies when they're around me,"
"Ya well we call the coincidence or bad predicament, not jinx," I say "Cher and I do not expect anything from you right away, or ever for that matter but if you want it to say it to someone, don't be afraid, your one of the bravest kids I've ever known you remind me a lot of myself, just don't be afraid, ok?"
"Ok, thanks..." She stutters a little "Mom,"
"No problem Madi,"
She hugs me and I hug her back, I can feel her crying as we hug.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing that's the point, I talked and nothing happened to you,"
"I told you kid, I'll be fine,"
We start walking back home and get there a lot faster than we left.
"I love you, Mom," she says smiling
"I love you too,"
"Promise, CHeryl won't die if I talk to her?" She half jokes
"I promise," I say
"Maybe tomorrow?"
"Whenever your ready,"
"May I give you advice?" She asks
"Go for it, I'm a mess kid," I laugh
"Tell Cheryl, when people know everything, its easier," She says
"Well aren't you smart," I say
She hugs me.
"Let's go inside before you get sick,"
"Ok,"
We walk inside and she runs up the stairs. I walk into the kitchen where Cheryl is facing the oven texting someone.
I sneak up behind her a hug her hips.
"Hey beautiful," I say kissing her cheek
"Hey I was just texting you," She says before turning around to face me "How did it go? Babe are you crying?"
"I was, Madi and I had a therapy session,"
We sit down at the table
"Where's your skin babe, didn't you have it when you left," She says concerned
"Oh uh, if your talking about her jacket I was just bringing it back, I forgot I had it sorry,"
"It' s ok Madi, Toni just likes to leave Her jacket everywhere," Cheryl says
Madi laughs.
"Goodnight moms, love you both," She says giving me a smile before going back upstairs.
Once she gets upstairs Cheryl turns to me.
"What parenting book did you read?" She jokes
"I learned from you," I tease
"No you didn't,"
"Actually I have to tell you something I've never talked about, the boys don't even know the details,"
"About what?" She asks concerned
"Well I talked to Madi about my dad,"
"Your dad? He left when your mom was still pregnant Right?"
"No I lied," I reply
"Toni... What happened?"
I bring her to the couch so were a little more comfortable.
"My dad overdosed in front of me when I was 7 or 8," I say
"Toni I'm so sorry," She says pulling me into a hug
"It's ok, we were never close, he was abusive, he always said it was my fault his life failed, that I was his biggest regret,"
I start really crying now.
"All I ever tried to do was impress him, nothing ever worked,"
"Toni look at me, your the best person I know. I love you so much and so do the girls ok?"
"I don't want to be like my parents but what if I wake up one day and just am,"
"Toni that will never happen, look at today alone, your an amazing mother period ok?"
I hug her tight.
"Thanks Cher, I love you,"
"I love you Toni,"
"What do you want to do Toni?"
"I'm done Cher, already mourned him, actually celebrated his death with FP so I'm good,"
I wipe my tears and stand up to turn on the speaker.
"What are you doing?"
I turn on 'You Shine,'
"Can I have this dance?" I ask
"Every time," She laughs wrapping her hands round my neck
We dance the whole song in silence, until the end.
"A couple more days until one year Cher,"
"It's been a long year," She says
"It's been a great year,"
"Everyday I spend with you is great," She says kissing me
We sit down and decide to spend the rest of the night watching TV