Press and Pressure

Tonis POV
I can tell KT is nervous, but why wouldn't she be? In 1 hour she will be seeing Hiram and Archie for the first time since the incident at Pops. The lawyer went through all the questions he will be asking her and then prepared her for what the defence might try and say. He told me seperateley that the defense is going to go hard against her since they see her as weak, but if she sticks to her story creible. We go and try to find a quiet place to eat but with the press everywhere it's really hard.
"KAIT WHO PAID YOU TO LIE ON THE STAND!"
"WHAT GAVE YOU THE COURAGE TO FINALLY SPEAK OUT!"
"ONCE THIS IS OVER ARE YOU CHANGING YOUR NAME BACK TO TAYLOR!"
"KAIT ARE YOU ONLY TESTIFYING TO PLEASE YOUR MOMS,"
I had enough of this, Kait is overwhelmed, the boys are trying to shoo away the press as we find a restaurant.
"We only have 20 minutes before we should be back," Fangs says
"Mom, I don't like it here," Kait says looking behind me
I turn around and I see a man holding a rock, or brick or something on the other side of the glass. He raises hi arm and throws it through the glass making it shatter, it all happens in slow motion, I see the brick hurtling towards KT. I stick out my arm and stop the brick, I get hit with multplie peices of glass.
"Yo bro who was that?" Sweetpea asks from behind me
I'm staring at that window, everyone scattered so I don't see people anymore, I just see the peaceful street. KT grabbed the brick
"They wrote something on this, Testify and you die, next time the brick wont miss,-HL & AA" zdhr says
"Probably someones sick idea of a prank, Hiram and Archie are in jail," Fangs says
We all agree and begin to walk back to the courthouse.
"Kait you didn't tell me you were bleeding," I say getting a good look at her cheek,
"OH I didn't know, I'm fine," She says
I check her over and find she was cut by 3 peices of glass, one on her cheek, one on her her collarbone and one on her arm. She's fine though, won't even need stitches. We get back to the courthouse.
"Ah! Finally, you're on the stand in 5 minutes!" The prosecutor starts "What happened to you?"
He ushers towards my swollen arm, multiple cuts and Kait's face and neck area.
"Someone threw a brick through a window and it shattered, it had a note on it but we think it was a publicity stunt for the media." Sweetpea says
"Ok, or they tried to shake up Kait so she wouldn't testify, are you ready kid?" I asked
"yes," She says confidently
"Then lets get out there,"
They let all 4 of us sit in the back of the courtroom, while Kait is on the stand.
"Prosecution calls Kathryn Taylor Topaz-Blossom, formerly of Montreal, now of Riverdale," The lawyer says
Kait walks in and climbs onto the chair beside the judge.
"Kait, do you know the man sitting in the chair, over there?" He says pointing at Hiram
"Yes, that's Hiram Lodge,"
"When did you learn his name?"
"A couple months ago when he showed up in Riverdale,"
"Ok, and what did he do when he saw you in riverdale?"
"He walked up to where I was sitting and started talking to me, he threatened to hurt me and my Moms if I told any0ne,"
"Right infront of your parents?"
"Yes, but he spoke french because they don't learn it in the USA,"
"Told anyone what?"
"What I saw him and Archie Andrews do,"
"Kait, where were you on the night in question?"
"I ran away from my foster parents, I was sitting in an alleyway behind the garbagecan,"
"What is the first relevant thing you remember?"
"Hearing a man begging and then seeing 2 men drag him down around 5-10 meters away from me,"
"Do you know approximatley what time?"
"uhh... no, I know it was really dark out but i didn't own a phone or a watch,"
"But it was nighttime? and what time did you run away, if you know"
"yes it was nighttime, I snuck out my window after Linda checked on me so probably around 8:30? I'm not sure"
"Ok and what happened after they stopped dragging the man?"
"I couldn't exactly hear because I was scared and it was raining but I know he said something about owing something to him,"
"He as in.."
"Mr. Lodge, then he took out a gun and shot the man on his knees,"
She continues with her side of the story and what role Hiram played and then the prosecution steps down.
"Can I call you Taylor?" The defense asks
"I'd rather you not," She says nicely
"And why not? That was your birth name was it not?"
"yes it was, but I don't use it anymore,"
"Why not?"
"Because I changed it after the incident because I thought it would be harder for Mr. Lodge to find me,"
"Oh it's not because you pushed your twin out a window and ran away?"
"That never happened," She says confused "My sister disappeared one night,"
"Why is there a official police report stating that you pushed your sister out of a window only days before you say my client murdered a man?" He says pulling out the peice of paper and handing it to Kait.
She reads it for a while.
"May I ask a question?" She asks
"Sure?" He says confused
"I haven't seen my sister since July 11th of the year in question, so why does this say I pushed her on July 23rd?"
"because that is the truth," he says
"And this was supposedley filed 3 days before your client pulled the trigger but under current canadian law, I would have been brought into a police station and due to the nature of this supposed crime they would have to hold me until proven innocent so that I couldn't be a danger to other kids, and this was never signed by a police officer, why is that?"
"Moving on," He says annoyed
"What?"
"MOVING on"
"Taylor, how many foster homes were you in as a child?"
"Before getting adopted I lived in over 6 cities with around 25 families,"
"That's tough, so would you say you had a rough childhood,"
"I used to think that but I wouldn't be who i am today without my past, I am fairly content with my past and present,"
"With Toni and Cheryl Topaz-Blossom? Who are they to you?"
"Toni and Cheryl? They're my mom's"
"Can you point them out to us?"
"Toni is at the back, she has pink and brown hair and is wearing a black blouse,"
"And Cheryl?"
"Isn't here,"
"Why not?"
"Um, she is in the hospital right now. She was diagnosed with breast cancer," Kait says looking at her hands
"Can you say that again?"
"MY MOTHER HAS BREAST CANCER," She says with tears rolling down her cheeks
"And your other mom, Toni, the first day you were in Riverdale what happened?"
"I slipped into the water and she dove after me, I don't know exactly why but she lost conciousness and stopped breathing,"
"And is it true that both of them were shot at in a restaurant because of you?"
"Y-yes," she stutters
"Your a smart kid kait, you scored the second highest score EVER on the Classified test Quebec and the highest on the Classified test Ontario,"
"That is correct,"
"So would you say it's possible that because you made Toni and Cheryls lives a living hell, you concocted the entire thing to send their worst enimies to jail,"
"No It's not," She says confidently
"And why not?"
"Because I will never forget what happened that night, because I still wake up from nightmares," She says
He ends his questions because Kait will not budge from her story. They call me up to the stand and ask me similar questions but more towards his character and how aggresive he was. We get out of the courthouse and ate dinner.
I decide to call Cheryl and update her, I haven't talked to her in a while.
"Babe, how's it going?" She says
"Pretty good Cher, How has your chemo been?"
"I actually just meant to call you, there has been some unforeseen circumstances, the tumour is hurting my breathing, the chemo radiation is helping but there is a small chance I might need surgery,"
"Oh my god Cheryl, should I come home,"
"No, no, I'll be fine Betty's here,"
"Like in the room?"
"Ya! She's right beside me!"
She is obviously on high.
"Don't be jealous TT I love you,"
"Not jealous, I love you too,"
"Babe guess whu......" She trails off
I hear machines beeping,
"CODE BLUE TOPAZ BLOSSOM ROOM 346" I hear from the other side of the phone.
"CHERYL?"
"Toni, it's Betty, Cheryls crashing, they don't know what's wrong get here now... they don't know how long she has,"