29) Just Bad Memories

AN: Music for this chapter (on repeat): Inferno by Michael Giacchino from ALIAS SoundtrackCorynorhinus by Hans Zimmer from Batman Begins Soundtrack, So Are You To Me by EastMountainSouth, Fallen by Sarah McLachlan, The Reason by Hoobastank, Crockett's Theme (remix by Jean-Michel Jarre, Natural Blues by Moby, The Bourne Supremacy Theme by John Powell from The Bourne Supremacy Soundtrack, O Fortuna by Carl Oroff, Time by Hans Zimmer from Inception Soundtrack.

TWENTY-NINE

o

*Inferno*

The scene cut from Sydney to Irina landing on the lawn in her helicopter beside Alexander Palace outside St. Petersburg where she'd left from almost a year before.

Dmitri was waiting with a smile at seeing her disembarking amongst the flurry of snow swirling around her from the blades kicking it up.

Irina gave him a soft smile and stopped just in front of him, Dmitri's eyes scanning her whole body with a look of trepidation and then a smile.

"See…no new holes or gashes." She spoke softly with a smile knowing exactly what he was looking for and teasing him about their last conversation. "Hello Dmitri." Her eyes lit up with a sparkle and building tears seeing the smile on his fatherly face.

"Oh Child," He sighed carefully palming her cheeks and kissing her forehead before wrapping her into a hug.

Without hesitation she reached up and returned the hug and held on fiercely, closing her eyes when she was assaulted with images of Jack and Sydney and forcing back her tears.

Dmitri's brows pinched over her shoulder, noticing immediately the difference in her. She had never returned his hug so fiercely, or any other affection always him needing the contact instead of her, but now…she was the one seeking the comfort from him and it worried him more deeply then finding any new bodily damage…his heart and mind immediately began to fear the wreckage and holes within. He held her more tightly, kissing the side of her head.

Irina kissed the side of his cheek with a smile, stepped back and patted him on his forearm seeing the look in his eyes and damning herself for revealing so much.

"I can't stay long, only a few hours before I have to leave again but I wanted to see you first." She linked her arm through his and walked into the grand palace still surrounded by scaffolding though some tremendous changes could be seen, "How have you been?"

"Other then worried sick for you," He smiled, running his hand down the side of her face again as he led her to the kitchen, "I have been well…and you, Your Highness, how are you?" His eyes immediately scanning hers with concern.

Irina looked at the floor putting her mask securely in place before smiling in turn.

"I'm fine Dmitri. The CIA treated me better than I expected, for the most part…" Her mind instantly short-circuiting to Camp Harris and that torture. She sloughed out of her black winter coat.

"Did you accomplish what you'd hope to? Is…she free of this life?" He struggled to ask the question never ever saying 'her' name to Irina when speaking of Sydney, knowing what a painful and usually taboo subject it was as he took her coat and brushed off the snowflakes.