41) Here With You

Music for this chapter (on repeat): World on Fire by Sarah McLachlan, Whisper of a Thrill by Thomas Newman from Meet Joe Black Soundtrack, Answer by Sarah McLachlan, The Whistle Stop Cafe by Thomas Newman from Fried Green Tomatoes Soundtrack , Smokey Lonesome by Thomas Newman from Fried Green Tomatoes Soundtrack, Walkaway by Thomas Newman from Meet Joe Black, A Small Measure of Peace by Hans Zimmer from The Last Samurai Soundtrack, The End by Hans Zimmer from The Dark Knight Rises.

FORTY-ONE

o

'I love you, Jack… never forget that.' Jack's mind flashed back at her words and his heart screamed to 'go!'

"Peanut," Jack quickly dropped down to Lena's level speaking quickly knowing he had to move fast, "Daddy has to go with Mama. It's very important and I have to make sure she's safe, okay? And you're going to stay here with Max and I'll call Aunt Katya to come and stay with you today, okay? And then you'll go home and you'll be with Nee-Nee and everybody else until Mama and I get home. I love you, Peanut." He kissed her rapidly and held her tightly "I'll see you later." He motioned Max over and waited for the man to take her hand. "Thank you." He nodded and then flew out door at full speed seeing Irina now walking towards the helicopter. He ran as fast as he could out and around the building and across the playground to the helicopter just as the skids were leaving the pavement. He jumped in when they were already off the ground while everyone in school and Lena's classroom watched through the windows with rapt fascination at what was happening.

*World on Fire*

"What are you doing?" Irina fisted his shirt and pulled him upright into the seat beside her when they were already in the air, angry that he hadn't stayed like they'd agreed.

"Standing by your side and supporting you just as I promised." Jack yelled over the roar of the blades looking into her gorgeous but heated dark eyes that were softening as he spoke, "We made a promise, Irina. Together. We're partners in everything and I'm not letting you do this alone."

"And what about our children? If something happens to the both of us…" Irina began to argue even as new tears began to form and fall, in love with the man so much it hurt even when he made her insane at times.

"Then this will be extra incentive for us to keep each other safe. So that we do come home to them. I wouldn't be much of a father or husband… if I just let you go in alone." He yelled again reaching up and wiping her fallen tears with a smile, "I love you, Irina… and I'm never letting you go again. So you'll just have to deal with it." He smirked trying to get her to smile and then kissed her lips when she did.

They changed in the air and were on the ground in front of the barricaded school surrounded by the military and police already in less then a half hour from when Irina was first notified of them taking over the school.

She had been debriefed in the air and was doing a quick overview on the move as she and Jack were strapped with weapons and a held back crowd began to grow even more seeing and hearing the activities. Stunned faces in the sea of grief to see Mother Russia herself was planning on going in and getting the children along with the Emperor Consort. They had hardly been on the ground before going in with the Special Forces Unit and newscasters on the scene immediately began to report the news and turn of events.