33) Nadia And Nicholas

AN: Music for this chapter (on repeat): Time by Hans Zimmer from Inception Soundtrack, Whisper of a Thrill by Thomas Newman from Meet Joe Black Soundtrack, Romeo & Juliet Theme from Andre Rieu, Walkaway by Thomas Newman from Meet Joe Black Soundtrack, Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

THIRTY-THREE

o

*Time*

"We've got Sinus Rhythm." Ryan stepped back with a pounding heart, watching Irina's heart monitor starting beeping with renewed signs of life.

The sweat was visible on Ryan's brow and his own chest heaving from panic and Jack surged forward, grasping at her hand still outstretched on the table's arm and wrapping his other arm around her head, a steady stream of tears and tearing down his mask to expose his face.

"Oh God, Irina! Hang on! You can't leave me! You can't leave them! They need their mother... please, My Love, please! Hang on!" He cried kissing her forehead and then pressing his to hers.

"We're moving them." The Neo-natal doctor announced and the teams immediately began moving the babies' incubators out of the room behind him.

"Where are you taking them?" Jack asked in a blind panic looking up, torn about what to do.

"Upstairs where we can work on them better." The doctor nodded and then held the door for the first incubator passing quickly.

"What?" Jack asked rapidly not understanding, his world rapidly crashing around him.

"They're premature and they've lost a lot of blood. Neither are breathing on their own and we're better equipped to work on them upstairs." The doctor gave him an apologetic look and rushed out the door after the babies.

"Go with them, Jack." Alexei instructed without looking up from where he was frantically trying to stem the blood flow from Irina; his own heart pounding at trying to pull off another miracle. Things were going down hill for Irina and he knew Jack needed to be out of the room if she crashed again and they couldn't pull her back. The man already looked like he was about to have a heart attack and their children needed at least one parent alive to care for them. "Go! Go with the twins... they need you." He ordered Jack in a stern fatherly tone, trying to break through the shock he saw on Jack's face.

"But Irina-" Jack looked down rapidly at her ghostly white face and watched as the nurse pushed him aside yet again frantically replacing the oxygen tube on Irina with a full blown oxygen mask.

"We're not leaving her." Marcelo flashed his eyes to his brother-in-law knowing how much this man loved this woman, how much they all loved her. "Go, Jack... your children need you and Irina would be upset if you leave them alone in this." He knew he wasn't playing fairly with the guilt trip but it was a dire situation and he didn't want Jack to witness Irina's death in such a horrific fashion if she crashed again.

"I'll stay right here with her, Uncle." Sergei stepped in beside him with tears in his eyes from watching her die on the table before him with her heart stopping and Ryan's efforts to revive her.

Jack nodded and quickly leaned over, kissing Irina's lips and wiping away his tears that fell on her cheeks.

"I'll come right back, My Love." He whispered in Russian and then quickly kissed her again. He rushed out the door behind a nurse who would take him upstairs where he'd finally get to 'see' his babies up close for the first time.