45) Deeply Hurt

AN: Music for this chapter (on repeat): Circle Of Life by Hans Zimmer from The Lion King Soundtrack,
Safari by John Barry from Out of Africa Soundtrack, He Lives In You by Hans Zimmer from The Lion King Soundtrack(Simba's Pride), Tango Flamenco by Armik , So Cold by Ben Cocks featuring Nikisha Reyes pil and Knocking on Heavens Door by Raign.

FORTY-FIVE

o

September 2008

"So everyone… how do you feel about Africa?" Irina asked with a smile grabbing her orange juice from the counter where she'd left it ten minutes before to take a call from Nelson Mandela.

"Africa as in what? I haven't had very good experiences in Africa… or rather you haven't… the Congo, Morocco, Libya, Egypt…" Jack listed off the places there that made him shiver thinking about all the times she almost died in each.

Irina smiled, "I have business in Spain in a week but we were also invited to go on a safari in Tanzania this week. Who wants to go?"

"Can we all go?" Sydney's eyes lit up having never in her life been on a safari to see the animals and people of Africa, only on missions and that wasn't the same when in the big cities.

"Yes, if you want. I think it could be really fun." Irina smiled seeing her excitement and eager to take all of her children and grandchildren.

"No deranged tour guides this time, right?" Jack slanted his eyebrow at her making her laugh.

"No deranged tour guides unless you consider me one. I'm taking us in so far and we're meeting with a friend of mine from the Maasai tribe." She sipped her juice and took a bite of the Veggie bagel she had started eating.

"So this is like a 'real' safari?" Vaughn looked at her with raised but skeptical eyebrows bordering on excitement and fear knowing Irina was leading them into the wild.

"Yes." Irina smiled nodding.

"Oh, I am so in!" Weiss jumped up with an excited clap, "I can't wait to see Panama Jack in his safari clothes." He laughed and had the table laughing with him at the visual. "Not to mention Jane of the Jungle here." He nodded towards Irina and sent them into hysteria.

"I've always wanted to go." Katya smiled widely thinking about doing something else on her list she'd always wanted to do, purposely marking them off with fervor these days after seeing how close she came to her life ending. She'd suspected by the look in her sister's eyes, this was part of the plan. Irina remembered Katya talking about this in all of the things she talked about wanting to do and never got around to it. Spending a lazy month on an island in the South Pacific was down, as was seeing more baseball games with her family and now, a safari.

"The kids will love it." Sydney smiled thinking of the little munchkins who were obsessed presently with watching the Lion King. "Prepare yourselves for non-stop chatter about Simba, Pumba, Rafiki, Scar and Mufasa." She laughed softly.

"I know, that's one of the reasons I'm so excited to see their faces. Lena was ecstatic when we went to South Africa and we went to the game reserve."

"Yes!" Sydney laughed, "She talked about nothing but that for a long while and then brought it back again after she saw Ted the enormous African elephant with you at the Smithsonian." Her sister was something else.