Chapter VIII

The next day came quick and Beca was prepared to talk to Chloe about her how she felt about her. Beca was willing to wait until she graduated so she could date the redhead. Even though Chloe didn't say that she was interested in Beca, she didn't have to. The signs were clear, especially after that kiss. Beca was still yet to tell Stacie about their kiss but she wanted to keep quiet about it for now.

Beca walked into English with both confidence and angst. She sat next to Stacie and looked up at her teacher who quickly avoided eye contact with her. Chloe was wearing a black and white patterned shirt and tight jeans and it drove Beca up the wall. She loved seeing the woman in jeans just as much as she loved seeing her in a skirt. She didn't know which one was better. Chloe waited a few minutes until everyone was seated before speaking.

"Good afternoon, everyone. I hope you're finding Atonement interesting. Today we're going to continue on with techniques and look a bit at character development as well."

Stacie got out another piece of paper and began her point system. Beca watched her write down the first point and smirked. She was eager to see what Chloe was going to do this lesson.

~

English had ended and Stacie gave Beca another piece of paper but this time there was only one point on there.

1. Quickly breaking eye contact when caught.

Beca noticed Chloe avert her eyes but she hoped that Stacie would have picked up on something else the redhead did.

Beca stayed behind in class before Chloe had a chance to ask her to stay herself. Like always, the pair waited until everyone was gone to speak.

"I need to talk to you," Beca said first.

"I need to talk to you, too,"

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry if my kiss caught you off guard, but I'm not sorry for kissing you. I could never be sorry for doing that. So, I've been doing a lot of thinking and you're right - we can't do anything right now. I'm still a student and we can't have any sort of relationship outside of school until I graduate. So... if you feel the way I think you feel about me, I'm willing to wait until I graduate so we can be together."

Beca never wore her heart on her sleeve like this but Chloe was different. She was willing to wait for the woman and she was prepared to accept rejection from her as well, but she was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

Chloe was dumbfounded. That wasn't the response she was expecting from her student. It was an interesting request but also a mature one and it completely messed up what Chloe was going to say to the brunette.

"So what do you say?" Beca prompted.

"Umm... Well, I wasn't expecting you to say that. I thought you'd still be upset."

"I was. But I've been thinking and I want to wait so we can be together. I really like you and I don't care if you're my teacher. You're young, beautiful, kind, sweet, patient, smart, and I want to be with you. The fact that you kissed me back yesterday says something. If you didn't feel anything you would have pushed me away. You would have pulled both Stacie and me up about her point system and punished us. But you didn't. You didn't do anything except talk to me and kiss me. What does that say to you?"

Chloe definitely didn't know what to say now. She had no idea Beca was THIS mature. It was quite intimidating. The teacher was silent for a solid minute but it felt like an hour to Beca and she knew that Chloe wasn't going to say what she wanted to hear.

"Beca... you're a lovely girl, but we just can't-"

"Are you dating Mr. Cameron?"

"No. I was going to tell you yesterday that we weren't an item. We just went out as friends. But I was going to say that we can't date right now."