Chapter XVIII

Beca had been avoiding Chloe all day. She didn't have the courage to speak to the woman, let alone look at her. English was so awkward as she felt Chloe watching her but she just engrossed herself in her work and thankfully that was enough for Beca to not have to speak to her girlfriend. Beca was also lucky enough that the redhead was distracted when she found out earlier that morning that Principal Archer was indeed cutting teachers and alternatively, no one was safe. Principal Archer was going on student performance instead of just cutting back the older teachers.

Thankfully, Beca was able to go on about her day without talking to Chloe until Beca had to return to her locker at the end of the day to get some books that she left behind. When she got what she needed, she walked down the corridor only to bump into Chloe who was also on her way out.

"Oh, Chlo... Hi." Beca uttered, her cheeks going red.

"Hey, I haven't spoken to you since yesterday." The woman stated.

"No,"

"How have you been?"

"Ah, good, I need to go though."

"I'll walk with you."

Beca took a breath and walked with her girlfriend.

"How was girl's night?" Chloe asked and Beca's stomach twisted.

"Yeah, it was good."

"What did you end up doing?"

"Just fun stuff, play games, eat pizza, and watch movies..."

"I thought you hated movies?" Chloe laughed.

"I do, but I survived. What did you get up to last night?" Beca wanted to change the subject as quickly as she could.

"Nothing until Aubrey burst through my front door in a panic."

"What happened?" Beca and Chloe walked outside and stopped in the car park.

"Don't tell anyone, but Principal Archer is cutting teachers this week."

"He's what?" Beca choked.

"I know, I thought that he'd just get rid of the teacher's who have been here for a while but he's not. He's looking at how well we teach and going on that." Chloe explained worriedly. "I'm really scared, Becs..."

"Hey, it's okay," Beca stepped forward and took Chloe's hands in hers.

"I only just got this job and I love it here. I was so lucky to get a position here and now it might get taken away," Chloe was fighting with all her might not to cry.

"Chlo, listen to me, it's going to be okay regardless."

"Teaching is my life, Beca. I studied so hard to get where I am. It can't just get taken away from me. It's not fair."

"Nothing is fair but you'll be okay."

"If I lose this job I'll have to find other work and I don't want that. I won't be able to see you every day..."

"Well, think of it like this, if you do lose this job then we won't have to keep our relationship a secret anymore." Beca tried to lift the mood, and she did for about a second.

"Can you come over tonight?" Chloe asked.

"Ah, tonight?"

"Yeah,"

"Umm... I've got some homework to do..."

"You can do it at my place. Please, baby, I really need you with me. I'll make us dinner and everything. Just please stay with me tonight."