Chapter XVI

Hearing a blood-curdling scream coming from her bedroom wasn't the highlight of Chloe's night. The redhead had gotten up in the middle of the night to get a drink. She woke up parched and was dying for water. Beca was fast asleep, her arms still wrapped around Chloe, when the older woman woke, but she soon wished that she hadn't left Beca's side.

Chloe rushed back into the bedroom and saw Beca sitting upright with sweat covering her body.

"Becs! Baby, what's wrong?" Chloe leaped onto the bed and went to push Beca's hair away from her face, but the brunette flinched. "Hey, it's okay, it's me. It's Chloe."

Beca's wide eyes studied the redhead until she recognised that it was indeed Chloe.

"It's okay, cutie." Chloe finally pushed Beca's hair away from her face. "What happened?"

The brunette was panting as her eyes were taking in her surroundings. She was in Chloe's apartment with Chloe. She was unharmed. She was untouched. She was safe.

"I... I had a nightmare that's all." Beca wiped her eyes, feeling tears in them.

"You look terrified," Chloe stated.

"It's fine, I get nightmares quite a bit."

Chloe's heart broke when Beca told her.

"You get them often?"

"Yes," Beca nodded.

"Are they about the same thing?"

"Most of the time, yes."

"What was it about?"

Beca looked into Chloe's bright blue gaze. The redhead was worried and Beca could see the fear in her eyes.

"Don't worry about it."

"Becs," Chloe took the brunette's hand. "Please. You look awful."

"Thanks," Beca chuckled.

"I'm serious. You look so scared. You're sweating and trembling before me. What was your nightmare about?"

"Chloe, please. I don't want to talk about it."

"Beca, I'm only trying to help you."

"I know, but I don't want to talk about it."

"But-"

"Chloe!" Beca snapped. "I said I DON'T want to talk about it! Just leave me be."

Chloe sat back and watched Beca rub her eyes in frustration. She never saw this side of Beca before and it was unnerving. Beca had never snapped or got the slightest bit angry with the redhead, but she did and Chloe knew that whatever Beca was dreaming about wasn't good in any way.

"Okay," Chloe uttered. "I'm sorry. Would you like a drink?"

"Yes, please."

"I'll get you one."

Chloe left the bedroom and returned a moment later with a glass of water for Beca. The brunette drank all of it within seconds then flopped onto her back with a sigh. Chloe slipped back into bed and propped herself up on her elbow as she watched Beca breathe steadily.

"I didn't mean to upset you, Becs-"

"It's fine, Chlo. Don't worry about it." Beca was desperate to shift from the topic.

"You can talk to me."

"I know, just... please leave it alone. I'm too tired."

Chloe nodded.