Kim Hanbin X Reader

Your legs ached as you continued pushing yourself up the path, your right hand resting on trees and boulders in order to keep yourself upright. Your hands were shaking as your lungs tightened in your chest, begging for air. The thick jacket you wore wasn't thick enough to keep you warm.

"Just a little further," you reassured yourself. "Just a little bit more and then I'll stop and rest."

Hiking became a passion of yours since you were a teenager. The passing of your grandmother was hard on you, she was your main supporter and the person you loved. She raised you and cared for you as if you were her own daughter after your mother and father passed in a car accident while you were younger. Your grandmother introduced hiking to you while you were a child, she convinced you to go out with her every other weekend on a trail. But then she passed and you just couldn't seem to keep up with the fast pace world around you.

You lost interest in all your favorite activities. Everything became dull and meaningless to you. You'd lost the only person in your life who you loved with all your heart, it was devastating.

It's been a year since you lost your grandmother, today being the day she passed peacefully in the hospital. The wound was still raw. You couldn't bear the thought of hiking, as it was her favorite thing to do, let alone hiking her favorite trail that she promised to take you on one day as a child. It wasn't hard staying away from her favorite place as you spent most of your time at work. You lived in your own apartment, although your grandmother's house was under your name. It was too painful for you to come to terms with the passing of her. But here you were now, at 25 years old, hiking the difficult trail your grandmother once promised to take you on.

It was fall. The cold weather managed to chill you to your bone, your hands shaking as you breathed steadily on your way up the trail. It was a difficult trail to say the least, one of the most difficult ones, not to mention the fact that it's been a year and a half since you last hiked.

Your friend, Mina, offered to hike with you on this difficult day but you denied her offer. You wanted to do it alone. In some way your grandmother was with you as you hiked. You could feel her presence, comforting you as you did your best to prevent tears from slipping down your cheeks. Although it was difficult, and your body screamed for you to stop, you continued pushing on forward without a pause. Once in a while you would come across one or two people who had stopped to rest for a break, or who were returning from the top, but most of the time you were alone.

Your mind was clear, thoughts of your struggles having disappeared the moment you began the hike. The only thought on your mind was of your grandmother. She would have loved to hike in this weather considering she loved the fall season the most.

Ten minutes pass and you finally come to a clearing, a perfect place to stop and relax. You sigh while walking to the edge of the rock. You stare out at the colorful trees that dotted the ground. The wind blows your hair away from your face, your body thanks you as you finally sit down and let your feet hang off the ledge of the rock. There's this feeling in your chest, this tightening feeling that doesn't seem to go away until your eyes begin filling with unshed tears. The cold wind nips at your face.

"Are you here? With me?" You whisper, hoping that maybe, just maybe, your grandmother was listening. "You don't know how much I miss you. It's still hard to accept it, but I'm starting to come to terms with it."

You sniffle and remove your backpack, digging through it to pull out a bottle of water. "You would have loved to hike in this weather." Your hands are shaking as you hold the plastic bottle in your hands, your stomach clenching in pain at your own words. "I'm sorry we never got to hike together, grandma. It was the last thing on your bucket list." You laughed at the faint memory of your grandmother showing you her bucket list she created.