EIGHT

EIGHT

The flight from Nebraska to England took about 9 hours, almost 10. My mother spent the first half of the flight talking about how annoying my father was on the phone prior to me arriving at the airport. Apparently, my father wanted to see me before leaving. He had convinced my mother that she and I should fly to New York then rest of a bit before taking a plane from New York to England. She said that when she was on the phone my father was furious and she tried to justify everything by saying that she couldn't because because it would be stressful for me. The rest of the flight she spent it sleeping, thank God. And I couldn't even get a wink. I didn't have a phone with me or any electronics yet. My mother told me that she had a phone waiting for me in England. During the plane ride I actually felt envious of Amanda, my mother's assistant, as she sat next to a crying baby back in economy. I would have preferred that over my mother.

When we arrived a black town car was waiting for us. I immediately felt the cold breeze when we exited the airport to the car. The entire car ride I kept thinking of Sarah. I wondered how she was doing. I actually thought of calling her as soon as I got my phone. But I could imagine that she would hang up on me as soon as she hears me say hello.

The ride was pleasant. My mother kept her mouth shut. I simply watched as we drove past the people on the streets. I saw a glimpse of the place, and we even took a detour and drove past the Buckingham Palace. We didn't go down, we just drove past it. Then the ride continued. I didn't even know where we were going to live. Come to think of it, I knew almost nothing about England. It was unfamiliar territory to me and I didn't bother looking up stuff about England. Maybe I should have asked Fiona if she'd been here. But then again she'd just probably tell me if it was gross or full of hobos.

The car ride took longer than expected. Approximately 3 hours and a half. We finally arrived to the place we were going to be at. I read the words Holmes Chapel. My idiotic mind could only fathom Sherlock Holmes and an actual Chapel. I'm glad I was only thinking of it, if I'd said it outloud people could have mocked me for it. But honestly, I knew nothing of England except the basic stereotypes. That or the people my mother had worked with in the past. And one of her suitors who constantly bought her Harry Winston jewelry, as if she needed more than she already had bought for herself.

We arrived at our new home. Brick, White, Roof? I honestly don't know how to describe our home except it looked like every other basic home I've seen so far in England, but bigger. The lawn was definitely bigger. Size is well expected from my mother in all honesty. Amanda grabbed me by the arm and told me my mother asked to show me around because she had to assist the man carrying our luggage. We walked around and she showed me the first floor. It definitely looked old school and pretty much a basic home but inside it was completely modern with a twist of an old school taste. Amanda told me that my mother had majority of the input, and I believed her considering how our old home was decorated.

She showed me the kitchen, the living space, guest rooms, a basement where my mother has already filled up her wine spaces and a pool area and sauna. Upstairs was just as luxurious as everywhere else. Amanda had only one input in the whole house.

My bedroom.

I looked at it and it was definitely in my taste. When Amanda opened the door she smiled at me and I smiled back. It looked exactly like my old room, just the way I loved it. It was like they took my entire room and shipped it to England. "How does it feel to be back in your old space?" Amanda asked as she sat on the bed next to me. I haven't even thought about it much. I didn't really think about my emotions until the plane ride. The only thing I've thought about was calling Sarah.

"I guess its weird. I don't really know how to say what I feel." I said as I played with my fingers. "Well, you're free now. You'll be fine." Amanda said. I heard my mother yell her name and she immediately got up and ran out the door. I saw something by the desk, and I walked up to find a phone and a note.