THIRTY FIVE

THIRTY FIVE

After we ate, we sat by the garden for a while and Henry continued to talk to his mother about the holiday he spent with his father. Apparently, he had not seen his mother since he came back. But as he was talking, I would notice Celina's eyes looking at me. She was side eyeing me. No movement with her head but her eyes would attempt to look at me. She sat in between me and Henry, and it was an awkward atmosphere. Ever since the mention of my parents name.

"If you'll excuse me, I drank too much water." Henry said as he stepped back inside. Leaving me and Celina in awkward silence.

"Is it hard being an anesthesiologist?" I asked randomly and she simply looked at me. She smiled and sat up straight, tucking her hair behind her ear before clearing her throat.

"Henry and Alice don't know, but I used to date your father." Celina said and my eyes grew in surprise. I see that my father has a type.

"When I found out he was dating my daughter, I kind of laughed. When Henry said I met him before, it was the first time I saw him and I had no idea he was dating Alice. It was during the time that he and your mother were still technically married. Tom approved of it but, he approves of anything they do as long as they're 18." Celina said. She crossed her legs and eyed me from head to toe.

"You look like your mother. Except you're prettier." Celina said and I wasn't sure if I should thank her for that compliment. But she did say I looked like my mother, so I wasn't sure if it was a compliment. Even if she said I was prettier.

"Don't tell Henry or Alice. I'd rather it be a secret between us. Hopefully you can keep one, a trait you hopefully have that differs you from your... mother." Celina said and once again, the vile tone at the mention of my mother.

"I'm back." Henry says as he comes out of the house. Celina seemed like she wanted to tell me something more, but she kept her mouth shut as soon as Henry came by.

"I think I should go back to school, I remember I have a bunch of stuff to do." I tried to make some lame excuse.

"What? But I was thinking we could watch a movie." Henry said and I gave him an apologetic look.

"Education is important Henry, let her go." Celina said and I could see the manipulation she was trying to strike.

"I'll drive you back." Henry said and the look on Celina's face was unsatisfactory.

"No, stay I can take a bus back." I insisted and Henry simply ignored me as he got up/

"No, I said I wasn't going to let you take a bus back. I'll drive you." Henry said and I looked at Celina who was just staring at me. I didn't know what to say, I could sit here for hours trying to convince Henry but he was quite stubborn.

"I'll be back tomorrow." Henry said as he kissed his mom's cheek and went inside. Celina just kept staring at me, glaring actually. I didn't know what to say, so I just stood up and ran after Henry, not wanting to be left behind with Celina who looked like she wanted to eat me.

The car ride back, was mostly silence. Mainly on my part. I kept thinking of what just happened. Henry thought the world of his mom, but she didn't seem to like me. Was it because my father was dating Alice? Especially since she says she dated my father? It was so weird how small the world was for me and Henry, it truly was.

"Are you okay?" Henry asked me and I just looked at him confused. He glanced at me then back on the road.

"You look worried. Did my mom scare you? She's a sweet person, she can be a little tough but she's really nice." Henry said and I just smiled and nodded my head.