THIRTY EIGHT

THIRTY EIGHT

Wesley and I stayed at Snowshill a bit longer. After staring at the lavender field for a couple more minutes we took off a bit farther, he parked at the side and took out a picnic basket from the trunk. I didn't even know there was a picnic basket at the back.

"How did you even put that in there?" I asked. I don't recall him putting anything in the trunk at all.

"The place where we rented this, my mom is a friend of the owner and I got him to set this up. He doesn't lend this car, it's one of his collections but he was nice enough to let me try it for the day." Wesley said, then gestured for me to follow him.

We walked up a small hill for a bit, all you could see was green. I wondered if this was something that Wesley was planning for the start. I mean, we did just bump into each other by that bench at the bus stop. It was fascinating how quick he was able to set all of this up. He stopped and placed the basket down.

"Blanket or no blanket?" Wesley asked and I told him blanket. He unfolded the red one on top of the picnic basket and laid it down. As he was setting everything up, it was like staring at some teen rom-com or something, not that I'd know what one would look like, but the setting and events unfolding was like straight out of a hollywood film.

"Sit." Wesley said as he patted on the side. I reluctantly did, crossing my legs and watching as he brought out some food. He just had a couple of club sandwiches, some fruits and water.

"When did you have time to plan this? Did you like wave a magic wand and get all of this ready?" I asked and he just smiled at me.

"A magician never reveals his secrets." Wesley said and I rolled my eyes.

We sat there, eating our food and staring out at the beautiful view. The little hill we were on wasn't that high up, but it had a wonderful view of the Snowshill village. You could see the lavender field, some houses and Wesley pointed out a house that stood out, the Snowshill Manor. A national trust apparently. It was literally like we were in a movie or some book just casually seated and enjoying this magnificent view. It seemed too good to be true too.

"Are you relaxed?" Wesley asked me, and I simply nodded. He then proceeded to interrogate me some more, asking me how I was feeling about the experience so far, and I was honest with him and told him it was peaceful and something I sort of needed today.

"This is what a romantic film is like. This is what a setting would be." Wesley said. Was he saying that we were on a date?

"So, is this a date?" I asked and Wesley's eyes grew. He was shocked, and I could tell I caught him off guard. I will admit, it was fun seeing how he looked like he was about to run for the hills.

"Umm... Uh... N-N-No..." Wesley said and if wasn't so cold, he'd be sweating beads by now. All I did was laugh, and he looked at me and suddenly his face changed. As if he knew I was messing with him. He threw a grape at me and I threw one back. But I was still curious if he thought of this as a date. I wouldn't put it past him.

After eating, Wesley drove around the place a bit more and we watched at how simple the lives of people there were. It was a small village, with only a couple hundred people. But it was a place I'd probably choose to live in if I had the option. It was far away from the city, far away from the people I don't want to see or talk to, and everyone was just minding their own business.

I didn't even realize it but I fell asleep somewhere in the middle of the whole car ride. I found myself being shaken to wake up, with the sound of Wesley's voice calling my name. I slowly opened my eyes, the hood of the car was up and we were outside the gates of Queen Mary's. It was getting dark, and I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep or that we were back.