ELEVEN

ELEVEN

After meeting up with Jacqueline and her friends we walked back to class together. We had economics. I spent the entire 45 minutes of that class pondering about who Morgan was. She was a mystery and with what Jacqueline said just peaked the curiosity in me. The following class was Computer, Jacqueline had to excuse herself because she was in charge of the upcoming celebration. Every year the girls are given a welcome back to school night where we are joined with the Harrow Boarding School boys for a small party at the field. Since she was the student committee president she had to be present at all important meetings.

I was left to fend for myself in computer class. Luckily the teacher was accommodating. She gave me my login key to the entire system. A school email, access to online books for our classes and discussion boards where teachers are given the opportunity to give digital copies of homeworks in case some of the girls couldn't come to class. There was a small chat box for the teachers to send each girl messages while in class, and the same was available for the students.

A small box popped up on my screen.

Morgan E. wants to chat with you

The bubble read. I had an option to accept or decline. I looked around the classroom and everyone was busy doing essays for other classes. We were given the time to start on our English lit essay. I looked at the back and saw a pair of eyes looking at me. A familiar pair.

I click accept and read the message.

I didn't get to shake your hand earlier, nor did I catch your name. In case you didn't catch mine, its Morgan.

I debated whether or not I was going to even reply to the message. It felt as if I was betraying Jacqueline. I had a weird sense of loyalty towards her, after all, she was completely accepting and accommodating of me. She hasn't complained once about having to be bothered to babysit me on top of everything else she has to do. My hands were hesitant on top of the keyboard.

There's no harm in messaging right?

Hey, my name is Alex. I'm sorry if I didn't shake your hand this morning. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do.

Lame.

I looked back and I could see her smiling through her eyes. Her eyes darted back into her screen and I couldn't tell if she was really typing back, until I saw the three dots popping up. I waited patiently for her reply.

Jacqueline doesn't like me.

Was all she said. I didn't know if it would be appropriate of me to ask. But she seemed quite bold in her message. To tell a complete stranger that someone did not like her, for me it felt bold. I mean, she didn't even know how close I was to Jacqueline. For all she knows I might be Jacqueline's best friend. Did she even think of that?

Why doesn't she like you?

I wrote back and waited for her reply but I saw nothing. I didn't see the three dots. I hesitantly looked back to where she was sitting and saw her staring at the screen. But I couldn't make out the rest of her face for an accurate reaction. I looked back and waited a couple of minutes for her to reply but a couple of minutes turned into the entire class period. I logged off the computer and grabbed my stuff. I turned back and I watched as she flipped her hair and walked out of the classroom. I found myself following her. You could say I was curious at best. She stopped by one of the classrooms and I saw her talking to a teacher. I stood by the side and just stared at her.

It wasn't like I was stalking her.

"Hey, you're getting off early." I felt myself jump when Jacqueline suddenly popped up next to me. I looked at her and she saw how surprised I was. She had a brow raised but a smirk on her face. "Why so jumpy?" she asked. She turned and saw Morgan walking away. It wasn't hard to miss considering she was the only person on that side of the hallway. Jacqueline looked back at me, disappointed was all over her face. "Stay away from her." She repeated to me as if I was slow. She grabbed me by the wrist and we walked to the opposite direction. She led me to the main building by the front and I didn't even know why we were here.