FIFTY THREE

FIFTY THREE

Morgan was standing there, Angel right next to her. Suddenly, all that happiness that was going on between me and my mother had immediately slid off. And I was beginning to feel like I had, an hour before the session even ended.

I stood there, not saying a word. Morgan was basking in the joy of seeing me look caught. It was as if she had wanted me to look like this. Did she follow me here? Or was it by chance that she was walking by the place.

"Hell there, my name is Morgan Edwards. You must be Alex's mother?" Morgan pushed herself ahead and put her hand out for my mother to shake. My mother being the woman she was, immediately changed her tone. From relaxed, she was back to her stiffness. She was back to the mother I was resenting. And I was back to the child that was resenting her.

I knew it was too good to be true.

"And I'm Angel Dunn." Angel introduced herself as well and my mother was very receptive of the both of them.

"They go to Queen Mary's." I said softly, my mother nodded. She looked at me, as if trying to search for something in my face. It was as if my mother was slowly sensing that there was something between me and Morgan, because after observing my face, she looked at Morgan's and tried to observe hers.

"It's nice meeting you ladies." My mother said and Morgan had a fake smile.

"We've always wanted to meet you. My mother is a fan of your work. She has a book club with some of her friends, and your work is a crowd favorite." Morgan said, inflating my mother's already giant ego. My mother, of course, completely flattered stood taller. Her posture straight as she smiled and accepted that compliment to feed her ego.

"A book club? Charming." My mother commented, I could hear the plastic in her tone. It was kind of laughable.

"So are you ladies going to tomorrow's party? The one Claire will be running." My mother spoke as if she had known Claire, as if she was even invited by the hostess herself.

"Yes, we were with a friend's mom, she was asking for our advice on a dress to wear. You might know her, her name is Celina Taylor-Harris. She's an anesthesiologist. Henry, our friend from Harrow the boys' boarding school is her son. I'm assuming Alex has told you about them?"

Was Morgan trying to intimidate my mother too?

The way she had said that, it was as if she knew that there was something between my mother and Celina. Celina did seem to favor her, she seemed more welcomingly of these two girls than she did of me. Maybe she and Celina were in some weird cahoots. Is that why she's so bothered by the fact that Wesley is courting me? Or maybe she knew Henry was too.

It was as if she knew a lot of things she wasn't supposed to. And she was using it to intimidate people.

I have done nothing but feel bad for Morgan, even protective. I was so protective of her, ever since she had told me about her father. But there was a change in her personality, a side of hers I don't see often which was suddenly sprouting out. And it allowed me to shift my dynamic as well. I was no longer protective of her, instead, I wanted to stay away from her.

And here I thought I was going to be protective of her always, because of what I knew about her family. But now, I was beginning to think that maybe...

No, it couldn't be.

"I've met her." My mother said to Morgan's little inquiry. My mother sighed and pulled out her wallet, handing me what seemed to look like a black credit card, and I could see the surprised look on Angel's face as my mother handed me the card,