Fourteen

-May 16th

Waking up to my alarm, I rolled out of my bed and onto the floor. I laid there for a minute, contemplating whether or not to just lay there all day before looking up and noticing my dress hanging on the closet door.

It’s the last day of school.

I jumped up and quickly ran to my desk, pulling out my makeup and starting to apply it onto my face. I kept it simple, for the most part, just doing a matte nude eye and some nude lipstick.

I changed into my dress and gathered everything I needed for today, which wasn’t much.

Every year on the last day of school, our school has this graduation type thing for freshman, sophomores, and juniors. Sense we don’t get an official “graduation”, the last day is and honors day, where we get recognized for things like straight A’s all year, highest scores on out end of the year test, things like that.

I jogged downstairs before pulling on my shoes and heading out the door.

-

“This is the last time we will be sitting at this table for three months,” Bailey said, looking at our seats.

“Bails, chill, it’s not like we’re never going to see each other again,” Megan said. “We all live within a block from each other.”

“Yeah, it’s just a table.”

“Yeah, I know.” She looked up and the oh so familiar smirk appeared on her face.

“Can you please stop smirking every time Corbyn looks in my general direction. Heck, we haven’t said three words to each other in weeks,” I ranted.

“I am going to make sure that you two see each other during the summer,” Bailey declared, looking at me, then the others. “And you two are going to help.”

“Well,” Brent started, “they’re neighbors, so it won’t be that hard.”

“Why are you so caught up in this?” I asked.

“Because it is the only interesting thing that has happened to you in YEARS.”

“Not true, remember Josh,” I said, recalling the last relationship I was in.

“Alexa, sweetie,” Megan started, “That was freshman year.”

I sighed before laying my head down on the table.

“I’ll be right back,” Bailey said after writing something down on a piece of paper. She stood up and walked behind our table.

We all turned around, watching her as she walked over to Corbyn, Jack, and his table. She said something to Corbyn before handing him the piece of paper. He nodded his head before she turned around and sat back down in her seat.

“What was that?” I asked, suddenly growing worried.

“Oh, just a list of some things you like to do, and your birthday,” she casually replied before taking a drink of her tea.

“You did what?” I said, louder than I anticipated, which ended up earning me some looks from surrounding tables.

“Listen Alexa, you might not be able to see his face, but you can tell when someone is staring at you, and he has stared at you for the past week. It’s the last day of school, and you are not going to sit around all summer doing nothing. You are going to go and make a new friend and possibly a relationship. Got that?”

“Yes mam,” I said, scared by her sudden burst out. That never happened with Bailey.

“So,” Brent said awkwardly. “Pizza place after school?”

-

We were all sitting down at our table at our new favorite food place, Marie’s. We ordered pizza from there like all the time, in case you couldn’t tell. Plus, ordering always came with the benefit of seeing the cute delivery boy, who I have yet to call. But their food was good nonetheless, so we started coming and hanging out here after school.

I went up to the register to grab a few napkins when I noticed a “now hiring” sign sitting on the counter beside the register.

“Are you interested in applying?” a little old woman asked, coming through the doors that I’m assuming led to the kitchen.

“Yeah, actually if you don’t mind,” I said.

She handed me an application from under the register. “Just bring it here whenever you want and you’re hired.” She smiled before turning around and heading back into the kitchen.

“So, then she was like, ‘why don’t we just go to the movies Saturday,’ and I just stared at her. Like, I’ve told you ten times I have a girlfriend, give up already.” Brent continued his story of yet another girl hitting on him as I sat back down.

I looked around and noticed a familiar black hoodie sitting at the back-corner table of the seating area. I looked over at Bailey and saw her smirking before she picked up her hand, shooing me away over to his table.

“Hey,” I said, sitting down in the seat in front of me.

“Oh, hey,” he said, clearly startled.
“What’s up?” I asked. “I haven’t talked to you in a few weeks.”

“Yeah, I’ve just been busy with family stuff,” he explained. His eyes suddenly got large and he scrambled up out of his seat, backing away. “Look, I have to go,” he said quickly, so fast it was almost incomprehensible.

“Oh, okay. Do you want to hang out sometime this week?” I asked, standing up as well.

“Yeah, yeah sure, whatever.” He turned around before dialing a number into his phone and walking away.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

I watched Love, Simon earlier and it was such a cute movie😭 but at the end my moms friends came over and they wouldnt shut up (they knew me and my mom were watching a movie) so we couldn't hear it then one of them proceeded to make fun of it, so guess who just got bumped down even lower on my respect list