Twenty-One

June 5th

“Happy birthday!” Megan and Bailey both jumped on me, practically crushing my ribs.

“Get off,” I moaned, pushing them both into the floor. “It’s not my birthday.”

“Alexa, your birthday is on June fifth every year; you can’t just choose what day it’s on.” Megan stood up and then helped Bailey.

“Besides, even if you could,” Bailey said, “we already have plans.”

“Does this mean I can’t just stay in bed all day? I mean, it is my birthday, so I should be able to choose what I want to do.”

“No, you do this to us every year, so get your butt downstairs before Brent burns this house down.”

“Why would Brent burn my house- WHY ARE YOU LETTING HIM COOK?” I jumped out of bed, pushing the girls out of the way, and ran downstairs. Sure enough, Brent was in the kitchen, but he wasn’t cooking (thankfully).

“We didn’t let him cook,” Megan said, chasing after me. “It’s just Brent, he could burn the house down with only a piece of paper and a rock.”

“Happy birthday,” Brent said, handing me a plate of pancakes. “Don’t worry, Megan made them, not me.”

“Thanks Brent,” I laughed. I grabbed the plate of pancakes and we all went over and sat down at the table.

“Your dad said that he would be back around five. He told them he couldn’t stay any longer.”

I nodded my head and took a bite of the pancakes. “Yeah, we’ll see about that.”

“Okay, well, our plans don’t start until seven, but we have to go and get everything ready,” Bailey said, urging Megan and Brent out the door.

“Okay, well you guys have fun with that. Thanks for the pancakes.”

“You’re welco-” The door shut Megan off.

Every year Megan and Bailey (along with Brent) threw me a “surprise” birthday party. Of course, since they did it every year, it really wasn’t that big of a surprise any more. The first two times, yeah, third, maybe, but after that it became sort of a tradition.

I set my plate in the sink and went upstairs to get changed. I pulled out maroon Nasa sweatshirt and a pair of jean shorts.

I was pulling my hair back in a half up/half down situation when there was a knock at the door.

“Coming!” I yelled, quickly shoving in a few bobby pins and running down the stairs. I opened the door to see the familiar black hoodie. “Hey Corbyn,” I said, stepping back so he could come in. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, it is your birthday,” he said, matter-of-factly. “So, I wanted to give you this.” He held out a rectangle shaped box wrapped with pink wrapping paper.

“You didn’t have to get me anything, especially since we aren’t that close.” I took the box and walked towards the living room.

Corbyn followed me, closing the door behind him. “Well, we’re closer than you think,” he said. “I mean, the only few people that even know what I sound like are you, Jack, and my siblings.”

“What about your parents?” I asked, sitting down.

“They don’t live with us anymore. I mean, they used to but it’s been so long they probably wouldn’t recognize me.”

“Oh.”

“Open it,” he urged. I swear you could hear the smile in his voice.

I peeled back the wrapping paper (yes, I’m that person) and opened the long white box to reveal a necklace with a pine tree charm.

“You know, that first time we hung out and I may have left you in the woods.”

“Trust me, I remember that very clearly,” I laughed. “I love it. Thank you.”

“No biggie.”

I undid the clasp and moved my hair, putting it on.

“Here.” Corbyn moved and buckled it around my neck.

“Thanks.” I placed the box on the coffee table. “Do you want to stay for w while? I mean, I don’t have anything to do all day.”

“Yeah, sure. Why not?”

-

“I still don’t understand how your hood stays up all the time, AND manages to cover your whole damn face up.”

“Honestly, I don’t either. But it works and it gets the job done. Plus, it isn’t really my entire face. You can still see some of my chin and lips in the light.”

“Okay but my hoods don’t do that though. Like you can still see my face.”

“Maybe it’s just the fact that I’ve done it for years.”

“Could be.”

My phone vibrated on the table. I picked it up and read the message.

Bailey:
hey, our plans have moved to 6 instead

Alexa:
Okay

“Do you want to come to a party tonight?” I asked, setting my phone back down on the table.

“Parties are not my thing.”

“I know you go to parties, I’ve seen you before. Hell, you gave me a change of clothes when i was blackout drunk.”

“Okay, you caught me. I’ll think about it.”

“Okay, well then I might see you there.”

“Okay, I have to go.” Corbyn stood up and started walking towards the door.

“Okay, bye.”

“Okay.”

“Okay.”

We both laughed and I shut the door behind Corbyn, heading back upstairs to get ready for this party.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

OMG the waves still look slanted to me wtf is this shit?! Shane Dawson come help me figure this shit out

Lmao i don't like Shane pls don't attack me his videos just annoy me oops