Fifty-Eight

October 14th

“Are you sure about this?” Jonah asked, motioning to the outfit I had put together for him. It was a white t-shirt, black jeans, his classic converse, and a red backpack.

“Jonah, you literally wear this exact thing every day, yes I’m sure about this.”

“Okay, but I don’t wear this.”

“Yes you do! Literally nobody is going to notice that I chose your outfit. You look fine.”

“Just fine?”

“You sound like a girl. You look hot, is that better?”

“Well geez Lex, didn’t know you liked me like that.”

I laughed and threw a pillow at Jonah. I threw the last t-shirt into his suit case and pulled the lid over, only to find it not going all the way down. “Jonah-” I motioned to the suit case- “a little help?”

Jonah jumped onto the suit case- literally- to try to push the top down.

After what felt like hours, we finally got it closed. “Now for the shoe suit case.”

“There’s more?” I asked in disbelief. The guy already had four completely stuffed suitcases. “You’re not going to have room for anything before long.”

“Relax, this is the last one.”

I sighed and sat up off of Jonah’s bed. “Why did I get stuck with helping you pack? I couldn’t have got Zach or Co- Jack?”

Jonah looked up at me and smirked. “I know it's killing you. Go talk to him, I got this.”

“Are you sure,” I asked, half way wanting him to tell me to stay so I wouldn’t have to face Corbyn, and half way wanting him to say yes so that I could finally clear my head.

“Go, you both need it. I don’t want to be stuck with a sad Corbyn the entire plane ride.”

I stood up and hugged Jonah. “Thank you. I’ll see you sometime tomorrow before you guys leave, I promise.”

“Hey, you better keep it,” Jonah laughed as I walked out the door.

“Have I ever broken a promise?”

-

I stood in front of Corbyn’s door. I had been standing here for minutes trying to find the courage to knock. “Just do it, Alexa,” I mumbled to myself. “If you don’t, you’re going to regret it.” I looked around and noticed that both Ashley’s and Jordan's cars were missing, only leaving Corbyn’s.

The door opened and the tall boy appeared. “You’ve been standing there for a while.”

“H-Hey,” I stuttered, mentally slapping myself. “Can we talk?”

He didn’t say anything and just moved to the side, signaling me to come in.

I stepped in beside him and walked over to the couch, sitting down.

“Do you want something to drink?” he asked. I noticed how raw his voice sounded, like he had been sick.

“No thanks.” I looked down at my hands and fiddled with my fingers. “I can’t do this,” I blurted out all of a sudden, clearly taking Corbyn by surprise. “I hate this no talking thing. I hate this awkwardness just because we are not dating anymore. I miss the old us, before we started dating and before everything fell to shit.” The first part was a lie, I loved when we were dating. I missed every part of it, even if the end was shitty. Stupid Dylan. “I just don’t want to lose you forever.”

I thought I saw Corbyn smile, but it disappeared just as fast as it had appeared. “I do too. You were the person who broke me out of my shell and helped me out of trash life I had. But it’s going to be awkward, no matter what.”

“Okay. I’ll deal with it. We’ve been through so much shit, Corbyn. Physically and mentally. I’m not letting it go down the drain that easily. Even if we can’t have a romantic relationship, I still want a friendship with you.” I guess a friendship was better than nothing.

In that moment, I had never wanted to get up and run out, yet stay planted where I was more. But then he spoke.

“I want that too.”

“So, friends?”

“Definitely friends.”

I stood up and ran over to him- maybe a little too fast- and gave him a hug. I felt myself relax and his arms wrapped around me and his chin sat on my head. I felt him relax too. Even if I didn’t have him back as my boyfriend, I had him back as my friend, and I was more than happy with that. I think.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

Two chapters left😭

Also, stop trying to argue with me on the waves. I see them as slanted and they're staying that way😂