Forty-Eight

September 25th

I quickly opened my closet and pulled a sweatshirt out of it, throwing it on over my tank top. I slid on a pair of sandals and jogged downstairs, throwing the door open and ran over to Corbyn’s house. I rapidly knocked on the door, only for it to be opened by Jordan.

“Alexa? What are you doing here?”

“Where is Corbyn? He’s not answering my calls, texts, and I’ve been throwing pebbles at his window for the past five minutes.”

“He’s in the shower, chill. Is something wrong?”

“He’s blowing up everywhere!”

“What are you talking about?”

“Look,” I said, pushing through Jordan. “He has gained over ten thousand followers in the past five hours. Everyone is posting about him. He’s famous, Jordan. Famous.”

“Was it that cover that he posted?”

“No, his nudes got leaked. Yes it was the cover.”

“What’s going on?” Corbyn asked, walking downstairs in a pair of sweatpants. "I have like 500 notifications from you, I thought something happened,” he said, worried.

“Sorry,” I said, walking over to him and giving him a hug. “You’re still wet.”

“Well, I just got out of the shower, what would you expect?”

“You to use a towel. Anyways,” I said, pulling out my phone, “Have you checked your channel?”

“No, why?”

“Corbyn, you gained over twenty thousand followers overnight.”

“Stop messing with me, Lex.”

“I’m not messing. Look.” I pulled up Corbyn’s channel and showed it to him.

“No way.”

“Corbyn. You did that.”

“No way!” He yelled, smiling and jumping up and down before giving me a hug.

-

“Can we talk to Corbyn?” Daniel asked, walking into my room.

“About what?” I asked, not giving Corbyn a chance to speak.

“You said we would know soon. We know.”

Corbyn gave me a confused look and I smiled. I rubbed his knee before standing up and leaving my room, joining the girls who I only assumed were downstairs.

“You never told us Corbyn could sing,” Megan said, hopping off the counter.

“He didn’t want a lot of people to know. I was surprised he agreed to the cover.”

“Alexa, he sounds like a fucking angel.”

“Trust me, I know. And what did I tell you guys about sitting on the counter? Off,” I said, hitting Bailey’s arm.

“Geez, sorry,” Bailey said, hopping down.

“I don’t want your butt sweat where my food goes.”

“Never say ‘butt sweat’ again, please,” Megan said, cringing at the thought.

-

“They want me to join their band,” Corbyn said, yet again messing with his guitar.

“You’re gonna ruin the strings of you don’t stop that,” I said, nodding towards his hand. “The band, huh?”

“Yeah. I’m not sure, though. If I do, we could go places. But if I don’t, then I already have a following I can get somewhere with.”

“Let me tell you something,” I said, adjusting my seat. “Those four boys have showed me a new version of the same song every day for the past month. They can never seem to settle on anything because they can’t get the sound right. When I sang, I was filling in for you, Corbyn. I know you saw how happy they were with the outcome. You could bring something to the band, or you can let them figure it out on their own. But I’m going to tell you what happens to people who settle for what they have instead of working towards something else; they get stuck. They don’t gain anything, the reproduce the same sound, and they get stuck. What you decide is up to you, but I’m telling you, the band offer is looking pretty sweet right now.”

“Okay, I’m doing it. I’m taking their offer.”

I smiled and leaned over, giving Corbyn a hug. “The fifth member of my new favorite band.”

“Are you sure we beat 1D already? I mean, we don’t even have an official song yet.”

“Eh, you’re close enough, so it counts.”

-

“So you’ll do it? You’ll join our band?” Zach asked, hope laced in his voice.

“Yeah,” Corbyn agreed. I’m the new member of Why Don’t We!”

The other boys went crazy, earning them looks from people walking by.

“Shut up,” I laughed. “We’re in public.”

“Follow our band account on Instagram and Facebook!” Jack screamed.

“At why don’t we music!” Jonah yelled after him.

I put my head down on the table. “You guys are going to get us kicked out,” I said, already grabbing my shopping bags.

“So what? We just received a new, crucial member of the band. I don’t think anything could kill our mood.”

“Except for that,” Daniel said, looking at the security guard who was walking towards us.

“Man, I didn’t think it would actually happen.”

“We know, we know,” I said, standing up out of my chair. “We’re leaving now.”

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

Guys ruining the foreshadowing effect with your crying smh

IM KIDDING I LOVE AND APPRECIATE YOU ALL OMG MESSAGE ME IF YOU EVER NEED HELP WITH BOOKS OR WRITING OR JUST ANYTHING IN GENERAL IM WILLING TO AT LEAST TRY TO HELP

THE ONLY THING I CANNOT HELP WITH IS THE SLANTED WAVES, THEY REFUSE TO TAKE MY ADVICE