Sixteen

May 25th

I woke up to an alarm blaring into my ear.

"Why is this stupid thing going off," I groaned, reaching over and attempting to hit the snooze button.

"Because you have an interview today," dad said, too cheery for the mornings. He was always like that; a morning person. I didn't understand it.

"Yeah, and it's not until 1 o'clock." I sat up and stretched my arms, yawning. "It's eight in the morning dad, I shouldn't be up this early."

"Yes, you should, because me and you are going to go get something to eat for breakfast. We've not got to spend a lot of time together, because of work, so I've not been able to see you a lot."

"Okay dad. I'll be down in a few minutes."

Dad left and I got out of bed. I went into the bathroom and brushed my teeth and took my hair down out of its bun. I quickly ran a brush through that as well before going back out to my room and opening my closet door.

You know when you have a closet full of clothes, but it still feels like you have nothing to wear? Yeah, that's me on basically every day of the year. I decided to dress a little nicer today, so I grabbed a black and white vertical striped dress. I grabbed a jean jacket and put it on as well, followed by my white slip on vans. Casual but cute.

-

Dad pulled into a parking space and we got out, heading inside. A waiter sat us down at a table and we ordered our usual; for me, two waffles, sausage, and a scrambled egg with orange juice, and for dad, two pancakes, bacon, a scrambled egg, and hash browns.

"So how are things at the station?" I asked before taking a bite of my waffle.

"Good. A few people came in yesterday but other than that nothing big has happened."

Dad was the head of the police department. He made sure everything was running smoothly, and everything was ran past him first. Since he was the head officer, he had to go in anytime they needed him, so that's why he wasn't home most nights; it's like he never leaves work.
And being his daughter, maybe that's why I've only had three boyfriends my entire life, everyone is just too afraid of my dad.

"How's Roxy?" I asked. Roxy was dad's police dog. She didn't live with us at the moment; she mostly stayed at the office because dad was there so much and she was still a puppy.

"She misses you and Coop." He smiled before taking another bite of his food. "She's a quick learner too. Doesn't take more than 15 minutes to teach her something new."

"That sounds like Roxy."

The rest of breakfast was filled with an awkward silence.

It's not like me and dad have never been on good terms, but we just aren't that close. His life revolves around his job, and I know he cares about me, but sometimes it feels like I'm the job and his work is his kid.

-

I walked into the mall and headed towards Mariee's. I turned in my application the other day and, according to Mariee, I was already hired. So this was less of an interview and more of a training day.

Once me and dad had got back home I went upstairs and took a shower. I put on some makeup and pulled my hair back before I changed into a t-shirt, some jeans, and some Nike tennis shoes.

-

I walked up to the counter and was instantly greeted by Mariee.

"Come dear," she said, dragging me behind the counter. "We have pizzas to make!" She led me back to the kitchen where I was instantly greeted by two people; an older man and a young girl. "Sarah, Ollie, this is Alexa. She's new and today is her first day."

"Hi," the blonde girl said, holding her hand out for me to shake. "I'm Sarah, their granddaughter," she said, nodding towards Mariee and Ollie.

"Nice to meet you, Alexa. We really need some more help around here, we're a little short." Ollie laughed and smiled, turning back around and working on his pizza. Jeeze old people laughs are adorable.

"Go with Sara, she'll show you what to do," Mariee said, slightly pushing me forward before walking back out the door.

"You'll need this." Sarah tossed a red apron towards me and I caught it, unfolding it from its perfect square. "Trust me."

-

After attempting (and failing) at tossing two different pizza crusts, I finally made one somewhat successful one, which we then added toppings to and put into the oven.

"Grandma was upset when they wouldn't allow her to have a stone oven," Sarah said. "Back in Italy that's what they used at their pizza place, but the bank bought it and they had to move. Since their old kitchen had an apartment above it where they lived, they didn't have anywhere to go so they packed up all their stuff and moved to America. Within the first week they had this place in the mall rented."

"So that's why their Italian accents are so strong," I laughed, noticing how some words were barely audible because of it.

"Yeah. All my family has been here for a while, me and my brother were born here, so we don't really have one at all. Except on rare occasions when we hang out with grandma and grandpa all day, so it's been coming out a lot more this past year."

"You have a brother?" I asked, suddenly wanting to know more. I mean, the pizzas were cooking and the mall was about to close, so we didn't have any more to make unless someone ordered delivery.

"Yeah. He works here too, but he makes deliveries when we need him to. Sometimes he's in here helping make pizzas, though. It's more of a family run business, but mom and dad have their jobs and four people running this place can get kind of chaotic."

"Well, it sounds like fun. I have needed something to do for summer, and saving up some money is never a bad idea."

"Well, you'll love this job. Except during lunch hour, that's pretty hectic."

"I think I'll survive." I smiled, suddenly remembering something. "Is Dylan your brother?" I asked.

"Yeah. It's never a good thing when people ask that, what did he do?"

I laughed. "Nothing. We've hung out the other day, he's pretty cool."

"Don't fall for it," she laughed.

I looked at Sarah, noticing how her and Dylan looked nothing alike. She had blonde hair while Dylan had brown. She had brown eyes while he had green. He was at least 6'3" while she was no taller than 5'5". I never would have guessed they were related.

"Okay girls, we are officially closed," Mariee said as she walked back to the kitchen where me and Sarah were.

"Dylan is going to be here in a minute to deliver the pizzas. Alexa, sweetie, do you need a ride home?"

"Oh, no thank you," I said. "I have my own car."

"Alright sweetie, thank you so much for working here. I'll give you your schedule on Monday, you don't have to come in tomorrow."

"Thank you Mariee. Have a nice night."

"You two sweetie."

I waved to Sarah and Mariee before walking out. Ollie was at the register, so I quickly told him bye before heading out of the mall and back home.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

Hi

So my competition went well
I placed 7th in Info which is 1 spot away from finals which is really good for my first time.
I also cut my thumb with an umbrella (thanks Dalton, I'm still suing you for that) and I can't bent it because it will bust the cut open.
But yeah, it was fun

My next comp is the 29th so well see how that goes