💙Second Chances:Mayazumi Chihiro

Happy Update Day, dear readers!

Wordcount: 755

-----

For three straight years the two of them would only throw longing glances at the other one, taking the opportunity that they were looking away.

They knew things beyond each other's names.

And yet not once have they talked to each other.

Both were aware of each other's presence in the classroom and there were times where they'd exchange a few words regarding classroom projects.

It was their regret of never having enough confidence to confess to one another. It was a regret that they carried onto their college lives, a regret that lived at the back of their minds.

She prayed that an invention of a time machine finally took place just so she could tell her past self to act on it before it's too late to try and change everything.

Meanwhile, he would sit in his own room, contemplating whether texting her was the first step. His night routine would go to her DM's, type in a long paragraph before deleting the entire long text before going to sleep.

They thought that all hope was gone until one day.

--

"Goddamnit." He spat, throwing a glare at the man who shoved him out his way, making him collide with the bookstore's window. He paid no mind to the stranger's so called apology and removed himself from the window and entered the bookstore in a haste. If it were a normal day, he'd probably be reading or be at the basketball court.

But it wasn't.

The ghost author who he had been 'in love' with had finally decided to reveal their identity at a booksigning in the city's small bookstore.

-

She smiled to herself, looking down on her hand. After years of hiding behind a pen name as she released her light novels (she didn't wanna brag about it, but the library committee enjoyed it.) back in high school, she finally revealed herself. There wasn't any particular reason why she used a fake name. She just wanted to add a bit of excitement to her life back then.

"You did well today, [Y/n]." Her parents- both national award winning authors- said with proud smiles on their faces.

She look back at her mom with a childish grin on her face. "Let's go out-" She was cut off with a loud bang. Her attention was averted from her parents to the window, concerned about whether it broke rather than the person who collided with it. Her eyes widened at the sight of the person's silver hair that removed their body from the window to run in the bookstore.

She felt her heart beat way too fast, knowing that posture. Having a crush is so weird that you memorize a person's body posture and every biological thing about them. She felt as if she was sitting at the back again, watching him change expressions as he read her book.

"Is she still signing her books?" Were the first ever words that came out of his mouth that wasn't school related.

"Signing-she?" She tilted her head in confusion, forgetting that she was the one he was asking about.

Getting annoyed that things weren't going his way, he clicked his tongue and held up a book. "Ishihara Mei, author of 'When flowers bloom'. Is she still signing."

His eyes showed confusion when she flashed him a smile, taking marker pens out of her bag.

"Are you-"

"I'm Ishihara Mei. Well, I was."

He sheepishly scratched his neck before setting down his backpack to take out all the light novels he owned. She accepted it with no hesitation when he reluctantly handed it to her.

She carelessly opened one book after one another until she stopped at the one.

"Mayazumi-kun?" She gasped when she saw their picture that he asked her to take on the day they graduated. It was the day she wanted to confess to him but her manager was forcing to attend the meeting. She smiled and ran a finger on both their faces. With a smile, she signed the last book.

"I'd like to make up for the three years I've wasted in high school."

She looked down on what was written on the bottom of the picture. 'I like you, [Y/n].'

"It's always a regret that lives in the back of our minds that haunt us when we finally lie down to sleep." She quoted from the book she was holding. "But it's never too late to act on it so that regret disappears."

----

Thank you for reading