🏀'I wonder why':Kiyoshi Teppei/Riko Aida

With an ounce of strength left, she marched past the doors of the building. Her sunglasses hiding her purple under bags. "Is your boss here today?" She demanded in a tone that caught the security guard's attention.

"Miss (Y/n) is in her office," came her assistant, Kakeru. "Do you have an appointment with her today?"

"No. I don't."

"I'm really sorry, miss. But under-"

"I don't care!" She demanded again, slapping both her hands on the countertop of the desk.

"It's alright," reassured (Y/n). "Have her taken to my office". Her energy matched Riko's. Both tired and hungover from the other night's event and whatever yesterday had for them.

"Whatever it is, make it quick." She pushed the door open, her arm folded to carry all her documents and one holding the thermos of chamomile tea to tame her raging headache.

No amount of makeup hid the distress in Riko's eyes, that's why she envied how prim and proper (Y/n) still was. "You know why I'm here."

"And I've said what I said," she shifted her weight on her the desk, folding her arms. "You can ask me all you want, but nothing changes."

"How long?" Her anger shook her entire body. Fists clenched.

"Since I came back here from Turkey. Maybe about December of last year." She drank from her thermos, avoiding Riko's eyes. "Maybe that's why Teppei had that box in his pockets when we slept for the first time."

The silence that followed after killed Riko. Though for (Y/n), it was what she called a 'Waste of time.' She could've been doing much better things. "We even fucked that night- when you two came in to plan that sorry wedding. Teppei was just so stressed with you, you know?"

She was possessive with how she said his name, irritating Riko even more. "And you're not sorry?"

"I wanted to be at first," she shrugged her shoulders. "Trust me, I really was. But, looking back at all the things you made me do and how you had my only boyfriend wrapped around you, why should I?"

Riko stayed quiet again. She fumed in the inside with a cocktail of anger and disappointment. Why is it that she couldn't blame the third party when she was so nonchalant about it?

"I was always the second option when you and Kiyoshi came around. Even with Junpei before he decided to break up with me. So when Kiyoshi came on to me, I felt like i won. Like I was finally . . . worth something."

"Junpei loved the basketball team. with how you were back then I wouldn't blame him for breaking up with you."

(Y/n) wanted nothing more but to slap Riko, to put her into place. "You're a very self-centred bitch, aren't you?" Her voice cracked. "That's what he told everyone but me, he told me that he couldn't stand lying to me when he wanted to be with you. Now, if you have nothing better to do, get the hell out of here."

"Get out, Riko."

"I pray that you don't stay miserable."

"It makes us even." She spat. The only difference was that she had al the money and the power to get out of this damned place whenever she pleased.

---

"Miss (Y/n)," came Adria that afternoon, looking like a lost puppy. "Kiyoshi-san and Riko-san cancelled our services. What should we do after that?"

"Give them a refund if they paid in full. If not, take half for yourself and refund the remaining amount. They wasted your time and effort, "

"But ma'am,"

"You deserve it, Adi."

"Ye-yes ma'am, thank you very much." Just as the door was about to close, she jumped out of her skin when (Y/n) called for her. She was praying that she didn't change her mind with that refund. "Yes ma'am?"

"Did they tell you why they don't want our services anymore? A better planner I suppose?"

"He only sounded grim, ma'am."

She rested her face on her palm, scrolling the excel sheet.

Guilt should've taken over her. Though all that she wanted to do was smile, she had won a long war of silence that Riko started. "I wonder why. Your ideas were really something."

"Thank you, ma'am."

---

And done, not really content with this story. It was only an experiment or a trope I wanted to try out where the reader sides with both the conflicting characters. Or you could say that there's no proper protagonist here.