🏀 Tired: Haizaki Shougo

Alone in her apartment -again- she wiped her eyes dry until the skin underneath her hands grew irritated. She found herself sinking in the middle of the couch too big for her. Eating would've comforted her.

If she had the energy to even get up.

She'd wipe her face clean, panicking at the thought of someone seeing her, and then having to explain herself. But who in the world would catch her in the comfort of her home at 3 am. No one would even hold her at this time.

Just then, behind her doorknob were her boyfriend's drunken whistles as he looked for the spare key to her home. She looked at her phone. So it wasn't 3 am, it was an hour over the time they promised to start their movie marathon.

She kept quiet, hoping her silence would blend in with her apartment's flightless interior. She let the door play Its squeaky melody, welcoming Haizaki. He brought the smell of beer and with him was his explanation for being late, accompanied by his laughs.

"I mean, three months of studying for exams. I needed that drink." A loud on the kitchen counter. "I brought your favourite on the way." It should've cheered her up. The smell of Pizza wafting its scent everywhere.

She should be following him to the bathroom door, folding his clothes, and then clinging onto him the moment he walked out. She should've forced him to lay his head on her lap, and then she'd joke about his dreads back in their high school.

Asking him questions about his day.

Or even a psychology question or two.

But Fatigue. She reminded herself.

That glued her to her place and kept her mouth shut.

With a click, the LED lights in her living room brought so much life into the place. "Ah you have your licensure exams, of course, you'd be tired studying." He took her red puffy eyes and blank stare as a sign of tiredness- it was true. But not for that reason. Still oblivious, he sat close to her, smiling widely.

Still, she stayed quiet. Why was asking for a hug so hard now? Her eyes dead as a fish, only focused on her fingers. Counting until her body had enough energy to bring her up and carry on a night routine before going to bed.

"(Y/n)," he called her name out when he went quiet after telling her what his friends did at the bar. "You're cute when you're upset, but you look-"

"Shougo," she finally croaked, her face contorting to adjust to new tears. Again?. "I'm... .I'm tired."

He was quiet. Confusion on his face, but he tried to be a good sport for her. He wasn't going to address what was making her tired, but he'd still try to talk to her. It's what she wanted. "You didn't have to wait for me then." He laughed, fraud. "If you're tired, why don't you go to sleep."

"I'm tired-"

"Yes, you are," he tried wiping her face, her hands pushed him away.

"-Of all this." Then she sniffed, tears clouding her vision until sorrow brought her hands up to wipe another waterfall of tears. "I'm tired of making excuses for you." She didn't intend to yell but realising that their relationship survived on a mere thread scared her.

She loved him.

But she was tired of missed dates and half-assed phone calls. She knew that they loved each other, he even changed his ways for her. She let herself be greedy and finally admit it out loud.

That she didn't feel loved anymore. Her voice shattered, trying to form sentences. "I- I tried, but every time you let me down, I just couldn't anymore."

How could he let that go through him? She only said yes with a smile, telling him to enjoy drinking with his friends when she wanted to him to hold her and watch a movie he told her not to watch, knowing that she'd ugly cry again While his mind yelled to scream out apologies, he reminded himself that they were no longer the high school couple they were.

He swallowed hard, " What do you want me to do, (Y/n)?"

It struck on her heartstrings, sending a memory that brought more tears.

Back when times were simpler , he asked her that question when she annoyed the hell out of him for her to do something.

And now he's asking her for the sake of their relationship. "Don't leave me," she let herself loose, head falling on his shoulder. Fatigue began to settle in. "I want a hug, Shougo."

---

Hands intertwined on the bed, he couldn't sleep thinking how much pain he caused her when he swore not to. She was fast asleep, troubled expressions disrupting her. "I'm sorry," he whispered, pressing a kiss on her lips.

Her sobs were something he'll hear in his moments of silence, remembering how tight she clung to him. "I promise I'll make it up to you, (Y/n)."