"Can I kiss you?" : Kagami Taiga

"He just shoved everything in my arms and then ran away like a scared dog. He was really nervous that he nearly peed himself." Explained [Y/n] to Hiyori when they walked to the classroom they haven't seen in ages. "And then the vacation went on with us texting back and forth."

"Did you spit out your dark humor?"

"No." Somehow the ever so excited and hyper [Y/n] was gloomy at the mention of her dark humor. "Every time I talk about something related to those he panics. And then he asks me why I'm not behind bars yet."

"And?" Her friend asked, knowing that there's more. Now Fukui and Yamada leaned in, listening to what their numb friend had to say.

Red-faced and eyes shifting, she answered in a low whisper. "He sounds cute when he speaks English. I know it's crazy. But listen to him when he speaks in Japanese, he sounds angry and is always loud. But his voice is just . . . He's just this guy that I-"

"Are you really, [Y/n]?"

"The one and only." She flashed her fake teeth. It would be crooked if it weren't for her braces phase back in middle school. "Only this time I'm infatuated."

They all sighed in unison. Finally, she was sort of . . . human and not a meme.

---

It was another train ride home. Both students were tired, longing for the summer vacation that ended three months ago. They sat side by side. "[Y/n]-chan" Kagami scooted away from her so that he could face her as he talked.

Too tired for word, she turned to look at him while her head sat against her backpack. Just as her eyes gave in to slumber, three tickets were before her. She was looking at VIP passes to their college's interschool finals. 

"Your siblings may want to watch me- the team bring our school to victory. Please accept these."

She mouthed a 'thank you' watching him stand up. "I guess I'll see you on Sunday." He ran out of the station while his body quivered in nervousness again.

She felt bad for his anxiety. Moreover, she was worried too, he went out of the train into a station that was far from his.

She had no clue about sports that involved a ball. In fact, it bored her no matter how many people tried to convince her that it wasn't. It even disgusted her a bit. Al the sweat and body contact was too barbaric her to pay attention to. 

Her brothers, on the other hand, were on the edge of their seats with fists tightly shut. Their first real-life game and maybe the only one. They treated their older sister as a maid, ordering her to fetch them snacks and also their photographer. The two wouldn't stop bugging her at all from the moment they woke up and until they reached the venue.

When the crowd behind them stood up, cheering she too stood along to cheer with them. She leaned down to her brother's ear. "They won, right?" 

"With a two-point difference."

"I see."

Though the sport didn't make sense to her, it sparked interest in her to sit down and write another story.

After their fans left them and when the interviewers had enough of their answers, the team walked out together. Their discussion of where and how to celebrate caught attention of those passing by. Meanwhile, [Y/n] sat patiently watching her two brothers eat. Kagami, after cooling down from his zone, alarmed the rest of his team with his impatience and nervousness. 

Scared, excited and nervous. Those were the emotions coursing through him right now despite winning first place again.

"[Y/N]-CHAN!" He exclaimed, running to her excitedly with his teammates following him. "Hi, I'm a friend of your sister's." His attempt in a gentle tone weirded out the ten-year-olds. His image of a basketball player made them return the fist bump he held out.

Soon Himuro and Murasakibara were behind him.

"Congratulations," she smiled, standing up. Then she looked questioningly at Kagami. "You had an important question?"

Himuro knew what it was and patted his shoulder in encouragement. "Can I take you somewhere quiet?" He looked over his shoulder. "Just the two of us."

She made sure her brothers wouldn't misbehave being the scheming ten-year-olds that they were before agreeing, concern stretched out across her face.

"Wow," she breathed when he took her to the lake behind the sports gymnasium. The setting sun gave her an afterglow, she looked like a goddess in his eyes. Those eyes wide with awe were glossed over the lake and its ducks. There were so much admiration and innocence in her eyes that he fell in love with.

Swallowing his nervousness, he realized that he and Himuro practiced basketball too much that he forgot to practice his confession. He scratched the back of his neck and nearly yelled when he asked her, "Can you give me your wrist?"

"My  . . . wrist?"

His eyes averted to her, yet he still didn't face her yet. So smooth. He thought when he held her wrist in his wide hand. He held it as if it was something so precious and fragile. Slowly he slid in his wristband. "We-we match now."

"Thank you." Her tone was skeptical, yet she smiled softly. Their faces matched his hair and blended into the orange-yellow sky.

'There he goes making me red.'

It was quiet between the two of them. The awkward type of silence until he beat his fist against the metal railing, scaring away the birds. "Damnit,"  he muttered when her smile contorted to confusion.

"[Y/N]-CHAN!" He yelled, hands landing on both her shoulders. "I'm in love with you. Wi-will yo- No, C-can I kiss you?"

"Kiss me?!" She squeaked. He could've sworn he heard her curse under her breath. "I like you, but. But I'm not allowed to have a boyfriend yet."

Her eyes were almost glistening from all of the emotions that overwhelmed her. Confusing. They were annoyingly confusing. She closed her eyes and nodded.

"Yes, you can, Taiga-chan."

The world somehow slowed down. The wind. It was silent, but now it seemed to speak to her when everything was muted. He heard the sound of is breath inching closer to her. Her heart pounded loudly and her ink-stained hands drowned in its own sweat.

Her hands followed his and onto its wrist when he caged her head.

This is it. She gulped.

Rather lips against hers she felt it on her forehead. He lingered close to her for a while before letting go of her.

"Thank you, [Y/n]-chan." He stepped away, a smile caused by something other than basketball resting on his face.