Pinkberry-Research Paper

Chloe's POV

based off a short story I read in English class XD

I was in the non-silent study area of the library on the last Sunday of Mid-Winder break, when Brooke Lohst noticed me. I had been trying to get Brooke Lohst to notice me for two-and-a-half years now, and the results had been grim to none. So when she paused next to my chair that afternoon, I seized the opportunity.

"Hey, good-lookin'," I said. "Come here often?"

"As a matter of fact, yes." She picked up a few books littering the table in front of me. "Seriously? Ned Vinizzi? Lin-Manuel Miranda?"

"Well, uh-" I hesitated. She was seeing a side of me she'd never seen before, which wasn't surprising, because I don't have that side. Apparently, she liked the Mensa type. That was probably why my great sense of humor and legendary reputation for practical jokes never attracted her.

Well, that, and maybe the handcuffs.

But, you can't base a relationship on lies, I told myself. It would be dishonest. I can't pretend I was friends with a dead person or pretend to sound like an intellectual giant. At least not for more than three minutes.

"Actually," I began. "I'm in a bit of a crisis here."

"What kind of crisis?" Brooke asked. I still cannot believe she's talking to me. I watched her twist her golden blonde hair around her index finger.

"An emergency book report," I told her.

"Oh. When is it due?"

"Erm...Tomorrow."

She raised her eyebrows. "Tomorrow." She repeated. "That is an emergency."

"Yup." I sighed deeply.

"Which one of these did you read?" She asked.

"I haven't exact'y gotten to the reading stage yet," I admitted. I didn't want to tell her I had only got to the 'which book is shortest?' stage.

"Wow." She looked over at the big clock on the wall. "Chloe, you are in huge trouble."

"I know, I know." And yet, Brooke Lohst was talking to me! Brooke Lohst cared about my emergency! Brooke Lohst was wearing a cute yellow jacket and smelled like strawberry frozen yogurt. Specifically, PinkBerry strawberry frozen yogurt. Suddenly all my troubles seemed far away. She slid into a chair next to mine, and started examining some of the titles.

"You can't read this in one night, and write a book report on it." She put the book on Lin-Manuel Miranda down. "It's like eighty-five pages."

"Well, the type is pretty big and there's a lot of margin space-"

"How about I tell you a story?" She checked her watch. "The library is about to close. Um...Do you wanna come to my house?"

I was agog. I was aghast. (Sorry for the Les Mis..) Was Brooke actually inviting me to her house? "Sure, but I promised my mom-"

"Do you wanna ride? But I have to make a deal with you. If you go with me, we gotta stop for frozen yogurt first. PinkBerry, obviously," She convinced. Somehow, I heard her voice dripping with seduction. I slowly nodded, and we made our way out of the library, into the cold night. Brooke's mom's silver car looked luminous in the moonlight. She opened the passenger door, and I got in.

We drove a while in silence, just listening to the random 80's songs playing in the car's radio. A random Bob Marley song came on, and I thought about that kid who wears the red sweatshirt everyday. I think he and Brooke are really good friends. I looked over at her, and saw her softly mouthing the words.

She began to tell me a story.

————————-

Brooke told me this cool story about this really little girl. Her parents really didn't want a kid, and they emotionally abused her. She wasn't allowed to go to school, nor do almost anything. And all her parents do, is just sit around, and watch TV. She is left home alone everyday, and decided to learn to read. She would read everything her parents owned, and then read it again. She then discovered the library, which she would go every day. She would read every book in there, even the old ones like War And Peace, and encyclopedias.

Her parents caught her reading one day, and her dad tore one of the library books apart. She was also forced to watch whatever show was on that night. In anger, she accidentally exploded the TV with her mind. She discovers she has powers through her large IQ, and she goes to school. She learns to make new friends, and this one really cool scene where a kid was forced to eat an entire chocolate cake in front of the whole school. The little girl decided to get revenge on the principal.

Some other stuff happens, but I didn't really remember because I was more focused on Brooke than the story, but I had enough to write a paper.

——————-

Ms. Fleming handed us back our papers. I giddily glanced at the top of mine, which had a bright red letter on it.

F-See me after class Ms. Valentine!!

I couldn't believe it. How had I have gotten an F on a research paper? After class, I walked up to her, with one of my hands on my hips.

"Why do I have an F?" I demanded.

"F! As in fake! As if I believed you! I have reached here for more than twenty years, and have read more than a thousand essays. And you think I believe this stuff? This is as real as my marriage!" She screeched. I huffed, and walked out the room.

There, at her locker, I saw Brooke. I stormed over to her. Her eyes lit up when she saw me. "What'd you-"

"An F! Why in the name of Heather Chandler would I make an F?" I asked.

"Well," She paused. "I made the story up."

"You, what?" I couldn't believe it.

"Yea, nothing about that story is true. I just made it up."

"Why?" I implored her.

"I dunno. It'd just be fun, I guess. See ya later." She walked away, her hair swishing behind her. I stood there in shock. I'd just gotten played by the prettiest girl in the entire school. I sighed, and shoved the paper into my backpack.

I knew I shouldn't have fallen for Brooke Lohst.

"Stupid is as stupid does."
-Forrest Gump