Treebros-In Case You Don't Live Forever (Ending a)

Angst ending.

on a happier note, the picture is freaking me right now. I'm obsessed with Christmas (and you may get some early Christmas oneshots :))))))) because I love writing Christmas fluff)

Also I saw mamma Mia! And I might do an au of with bmc characters or have them be in that show for a local theatre/ school musical

Anyways, y'all probably don't read the beginning of these anyways, so here's the story!!!!!

Requested by @jared-is-a-kinky-boy

TW: drug abuse, suicide

Everyday, Evan kept returning to the hospital.

Everyday, Evan hoped for Connor to wake up.

Everyday, Evan sat by his bed, not saying anything. Sometimes, he'd work on homework. Or write the letters Dr. Sherman told him to write to himself.

Everyday, Evan left the hospital, feeling just as empty as he had been when he arrived.

And everyday, Evan longed to see Connor's eyes open.

—————

Evan was gripping Zoe's hand.

He knew what was gonna happen.

Zoe was holding on to his arm, her head buried in his shoulder, soaking it with her tears. She wasn't making noise, but Evan could tell her pain couldn't be expressed through sobbing.

Cynthia was clinging to her husband, barely able to stop crying for five seconds to breathe. Larry patted his wife on the shoulder, his face darker than midnight.

Evan let go of Zoe's hand, using that arm to wrap it around her. He held her other hand. She leaned into him, and he put his head on the top of hers.

Evan closed his eyes, not wanting to watch what was about to happen.

A loud beep filled the space.

They had done it.

They had pulled the plug.

The room seemed empty, even though Evan could hear sobbing from Cynthia.

He squeezed Zoe, who cling to him like a child clung to a blanket. She sniffed, and Evan opened his eyes. (Y'all i am in an a n g s t y mood rn)

The room looked the same as before.

The Murphy family was still there.

Evan was still holding Zoe.

Larry was still attempting to comfort his wife.

Connor Murphy was still in the hospital bed he had died in. His face was still pale, his body was covered in wires and machines. His eyes were still closed.

And Evan knew that they weren't gonna open again.

—————

(AN: italics is a flashback)

The funeral was the grimmest thing Evan had ever experienced.

He had the note in his pocket.

Nothing was bright. There were almost no colors in the entire vicinity.

He took it out, reading it one last time. He knew it by heart, but he wanted to make sure he would say the right thing at the right time.

Everyone wore black.

He read bits and pieces of it out loud, praying no one was listening to him.

The casket was closed.

He walked out of the hallway, into a bathroom. Luckily for him, it was empty.

No one wore a smile the entire time.

He wondered where Connor Murphy was. He hadn't seen him today. He sent him a text message on his phone.

Evan and Zoe sat in the second row of pews in the chapel.

Connor didn't respond.

A priest made a speech about Connor's life.

Evan gave his phone a look. Connor was usually quick to respond to text messages. He tried calling him.

Some members of the Murphy family came up and made similar speeches.

No matter how many times Evan called him, Connor's phone went straight to voicemail.

It went quiet for a while.

He tried calling Zoe, but her phone did the same.

There wasn't a single dry eye. Even Larry Murphy cried.

He dialed their mom, Cynthia.

No one had found anything why Connor overdosed. There was no note, no sign, no real reason why he didn't want to be alive anymore.

"Ms. Cynthia?"

And nobody thought that his death was an accident.

——————

Evan stood before Connor's grave.

He pulled a note out of his pocket. It was small, and he could see the ink of his pen bleeding through the paper.

He unfolded it, and began to read aloud.

"You put all your faith in my dreams. You gave me the world that I wanted. What did I do to deserve it?" He said. "I've followed you around. I want you to know, that I hear you. And see you."

He sat down.

"I've waited way too long to say everything you mean to me."

The stone was smooth, and Evan wanted to touch it.

"In case you don't live forever, let me tell you that I love you more than you're ever wrap your head around." Evan looked up from the note. "I'm everything that I am, because of you."

What Evan could have given for Connor to know he was there.

"I've carried this in my mind for so long. It's echoing in me, but I haven't let you hear it. We've only got so much time. I'm pretty sure it would kill me if you didn't know that pieces of me are pieces of you."

Evan felt tears in his eyes.

"I have a hero whenever I need one."

Connor Murphy.

"I just look up to you, and I see one."

Evan was going to ask Connor out on a date the day that he found out he overdosed.

"I'm a man, because you taught me to be one."

Evan was now crying silently.

"In case you don't live forever..." he choked out.

As long as I'm here, as I am.

Evan put the note on the grave.

So are you.

He walked away, hands in his pockets, heart heavy, and eyes puffy.

The endddddd.

Please message me if you need to talk. I'm always here for you, no matter what.

I love you guys so much.

Don't hesitate to reach out.

The second ending (which is a better ending) will be out soon.

Again, I love you guys, and I'm always here for you.

Stay snazzy!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️