BMC-The Speech

Hi, guys! Just so you know, I might not be updating for a week or two, because my family is going to ORLANDOOOOOOOO

Yes I sang it as Kevin does in BOM

Anyways, thanks for understanding!!!

Rich sprang up in bed, gasping for air. He groaned, feeling the fire in his chest. He slowly laid back down, clutching his bandaged hands.

Where the hell am I? He thought, as he looked around. He was in a white room, with the smell of a rotten turkey marinated in Lysol. He ran his bandaged fingers through his hair, wincing as he felt red marks. His arms were covered in half-healed burgundy marks. Scars from what happened at the party's end.

He had set a fire, and burnt down his best friend's house.

"Oh my god..." He whispered. "Jake."

Rich grabbed his phone, checking for messages. There were tons from his dads, Marvin and Whizzer, his neighbors, Jenna Roland, Chloe Valentine, Brooke Lohst, and many more, but none from his best friend. He opened his social media feed, and saw his name going crazy.

Hey, Everybody! Have you heard? Rich set a fire, GO SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Hey, Rich! Hope you aren't too badly hurt!

Rich is flecked!

*Oh I meant Fucked! Sorry guys, just my autocorrect! :p

Rich scoffed. He had barely known some of the people he had messages from. Lots of people had their profile pictures set as one of Rich's instagram photos he had posted. He scrolled at his message feed, not believing the rumors that was being spread about him. One even said he had set the fire, because he was gay! Like, how does that even happen?

Rich closed the app, and opened YouTube. He looked at what was most viewed, and a speech by some boy was number one, with sixteen thousand, four hundred, eighty-nine. Bored, he clicked on the video, preparing to be bored to death by some kid he went to school with.

The boy was wearing a blue polo shirt with a tie wrapped around his neck. He stood behind a podium, trying to test the microphone, without being too loud.

"Good morning, students and faculty. I would um...I would just like to say a few words about..." The boy, who Rich recognized to be Evan Hansen, stuttered. Rich could tell that Evan was about to do something big, or fail miserably. "My best friend...Connor Murphy."

Connor Murphy? Wasn't that the guy who tried to kill himself?

"I'd like to tell you about the day we went to the old Autumn Smile Apple Orchard. Connor and I, we stood under an oak tree, and Connor said, he wondered what the world would look like from all the way up there. So we decided to find out. We started climbing slowly, one branch at a time. When I finally looked back, we were already thirty feet off the ground. Connor just looked at me and smiled, that way he always did. And then...well, then I..." Evan paused to wipe his hands on his shirt. You could almost see him shaking. Evan was practically having an anxiety attack in front of his entire school. "I fell."

Rich noticed a white cast on the boy's arm. Scrawled in black Sharpie, was the name Connor.

"I lay there on the ground, and then" Evan shuffled his cards. "Good morning, students and faculty, I would like to, um..." Evan looks at his notecards, trying to find his place. He tries to put them in order, without dropping them. He stutters, nervously. A card drops from his hand, fluttering slowly to the ground. He crouched down to pick up the fallen card. He suddenly stops. Evan stared out past the lights at the faces in the auditorium. It looks as if everything is telling him to run away, and hide in the bathroom stall. Slowly, he stands, putting the cards in his pants pocket. "Have you ever felt like nobody was there?"

Rich's eyes widened.

"Have you ever felt forgotten, in the middle of nowhere? Have you ever felt like you could disappear? Like you could fall, and no one would hear. But see, the thing is, when I looked up, Connor was there. That's the gift he gave me. To show me that I wasn't alone. To show me that I matter. That everybody does. I just wish...I just wish I could have given that to him. So, let that lonely feeling wash away. Maybe there's a reason to believe you'll be okay. 'Cause when you don't feel strong enough to stand, you can reach...reach out your hand. And someone will come running. And I know, they'll take you home." Evan took a deep breath. "Even when the dark comes crashing through, when you need a friend to carry you, and when you're broken on the ground, you will be found."

Rich continued to watch the video, being amazed by the speech. After Evan had stopped talking, Rich put his phone down, his mouth agape.

The video had changed the course of Rich's life.

Rich scrolled through the comments, reading them aloud to himself. He was so awestruck by the video. He scrolled back a ton, and clicked on the comment section, where you could write your own.

It's so easy to feel alone, but Evan is exactly right—we're not alone, none of us.​

Rich closed his eyes, smiling.

For the first time, in a while, Rich didn't feel as though he were waving through a window.