KinkyBoots-Grow for Me (pt. 2)

Read part 1 first!!!

TW: mentions of abuse

Jared set his new plant out in a space with lots of sunlight. The plant looked strange. It green and looked like it had a mouth. Every so often, the plant would move its mouth a little. Jared thought he was just seeing things, or maybe that it was just the lighting, but he knew that something was a little off about this particular plant.

Some girls entered his store, talking loudly. Jared recognized them to be five girls named Chloe, Brooke, Zoe, Alana, and Jenna from the fro-yo store next door. Jared checked the time. His watch read 12:30. His lunch break. But knowing Mr. Reyes, he knew he'd better stay and work rather than take a break.

"Hi, Jared! How ya doin'?" Brooke asked, smiling sweetly at him.

"I'm doing alright. How about you?" Jared answered. Brooke twirled her hair, something she always did. Even though Brooke seemed to be flirty with everyone, she was committed to a relationship with Chloe. Chloe was nice, but in a different way.

"Now, don't you be flirting with Brookie." Chloe put her arm around her girlfriend.

"Aww, Chlo, am I not supposed to be nice to people?" Brooke fake-pouted. "Relax, honey, you know you love me."

"Yeah. I do." Chloe squeezed Brooke. An awkward silence filled the air, as none of the girls or Jared knew what to say.

"So...um...where did you get that plant, Jared?" Zoe asked. Everybody turned to see the plant, which was basking in the sunlight.

"It's interesting." Alana went over to it, studying it immensely. "What is it?"

"I have no idea," Jared said. "I was walkin' in the wholesale flower district that day, and I passed by this place where this old Chinese man. He sometimes sells me weird and exotic cuttings. 'Cause he knows, you see, that strange plants are my hobby."

"Oh yeah? I think I know who you're talking about!" Jenna said. "My cousin knows him. Sorry, continue."

"Oh no, you're fine. Anyway, He didn't have anything unusual there that day. So I was just about to, ya know, walk on by. When suddenly and without warning, there was this total eclipse of the sun!" Jared exclaimed.

"I remember that! Me and Chloe were serving Evan Hansen!" Brooke said.

"I mean, it got very dark and there was this strange sound like something from another world. And when the light came back this weird plant was just sitting there. Just, you know, stuck in, among the zinnias. I coulda sworn it hadn't been there before, but the old Chinese man sold it to me anyways. For a dollar ninety-five!" Jared said.

"Well that's amazing!" Chloe glanced at the clock on the wall. "Well, wed better be going. 'Don't want to bother you anymore." The girls said goodbye, and walked out the store.

The next couple of days were uneventful. Christine didn't come by, and business was normal. Sometimes the girls would come by the store to see how the plant was doing.

Jared was watching the plant, when he heard a voice.

"Hello!" Christine called. Jared smiled.

"Hey, Christine!" Jared replied.

"Whatcha got there?" Christine pointed at the plant, coming closer to inspect it. She put the sweater she was holding onto the counter.

"I don't know what it is. I got it a couple days ago."

"What's its name?" Christine asked.

"Well. I don't really have a name for it." Jared thought for a minute. "Christine 2!"

"Eek! I love it!" Christine squealed, clapping her hands.

"Christine? Are you in here?" A harsh voice shouted from outside the store. Christine's face became pale. She knew this voice from anywhere. Her boyfriend, Jake was probably making sure she wasn't doing anything.

"Jared-"

"Damn it, Christine! I told you not to be in that store! Come out here right now!" Jake shouted. Christine felt her blood run cold.

"You better go." Jared flicked his eyes towards the door. "I'll see ya later."

Christine looked at the door. She gave Jared's hand a squeeze. "I'll see you later."

"Jesus, girl, what takes you so long? You're lucky I haven't left by now. I'm your only way home!"

"Christine! You forgot your-"

"Bye, Jared!" Christine called after him, shutting the door.

Outside, Jake was scowling at the cigarette in his hand.

"What took you so long? Did you have to clean up all those rose petals?" Jake asked.

"No, Jake. I was just stopping by and seeing his new plant-"

"Do you see how much I care on my face?" Jake's expression was blank. "And how many times have I told you not to go near him? It's like you're falling in love with him!"

"I'm not! Jake, I swear-" Christine felt a blow against her face. Jake's fist had made contact with her nose.

"You think you can cheat on me? After everything I've done for you?" Jake screamed. "Look at where you are." Jake gestured to her surroundings, making sure she saw him as well. "Look at where you started! You were worthless, but now you're mine! And you think you can just leave me?"

"I'm sorry. I think you're misunderstanding what-"

"You're the one misunderstanding!" Have pointed at her now bleeding nose. Christine had not noticed it, and she wiped her nose. "And look at you! You're a mess! This is what you get for not listening to me." Jake raises his arm to put it around Christine. She flinched.

"What? Are you scared of me? After everything I've done for you?"

"No. It's just, I'm a little skittish, because I haven't-" Christine tried to explain.

"Okay, okay, I didn't need a backstory. Let's just forget all of this, and go home." Jake put his arm around her, and together they walked to his house.

Little did Christine know that Jared could see everything through the shop window.